Juris Doctor/MBA Joint Degree
Set Yourself Apart in Law & Business
Our JD-MBA Program gives you the tools to become successful, whether you want to pursue a law career with a solid foundation in management or, you aspire to be a business leader with legal expertise. You may earn both the Juris Doctor and a MBA in four years rather than the usual five. Part-time students may also benefit from these programs. Our program enables you to follow the career path of your choice and provides you with a skill set and professional networks that truly differentiates you from others.
You can choose to begin your study in either the School of Law or in the Palumbo-Donahue School of Business.
• For full-time JD students, the first year of study in the School of Law is taken solely in the School of Law.
• The remainder of the programs may be taken jointly in both schools.
• Candidates must begin their study in the School of Law prior to substantially completing the requirements for the master's degree.
Specific course requirements and limitations may be obtained from the law school's Registrar's Office.
• 17 credit hours of course work are permitted per semester
• 6 credit hours may be permitted for a School of Law clinical course
• Daytime law students must be enrolled in ten or more credit hours of law classes in the fall and spring semesters.
• Evening law students must be enrolled in eight or more credit hours of law classes in the fall and spring semesters.
• Students are required to provide the School of Law Registrar with a copy of their MBA elective course schedule.
How to Apply
Students may begin their study in either the School of Law or the School of Business. However, students must apply and be accepted to both programs of study. A competitive LSAT score (typically in the 50th percentile or better) can be used in lieu of the GMAT or GRE. Students may be required to take the GMAT or GRE if their LSAT score is not deemed competitive.
JD/MBA candidates must submit a recommendation from the School of Law registrar, in addition to satisfying Professional MBA admission requirements. This recommendation is requested through the application portal and will be used to ensure that applicants have completed the Petition for Joint Degree form and received approval from the School of Law Academic Status Committee.
While the student is enrolled in both the JD and MBA programs, the JD program will take priority and the Law tuition rate will apply to any term during which the student is enrolled in Law courses. During any term when the student is enrolled in only MBA courses, the Graduate Business tuition rate will apply.
|Civil Procedure and Drafting||3|
|Civil Procedure II||2|
|Legal Research and Writing I & II||5|
|Torts I & II||6|
|Contracts I & II||6|
|Property I & II||6|
|Constitutional Law I & II||5|
MBA - Master of Business Administration
|Managerial Decision Tools||1.5|
|**Managing People for Sustained Competitive Advantage or Employee Benefits||1.5|
|**Accounting for Decision Makers||3|
|Supply Chain/Operations Management||1.5|
|Strategic Sustainability and Models||1.5|
|**Global Business or International Law||1.5|
|Strategy and Implementation||3|
*These courses may be waived based on previous coursework.
** Course may count as a law school elective.