Clinics and Externships
Clinical education is one of the instructional cornerstones of Duquesne University School of Law. As a student here, you will have the opportunity to participate in law clinics, externships, pro bono programs and fellowships that offer live client experiences and often include opportunities to appear in court. The goals of the Clinical Legal Education program are threefold:
- To serve the community by providing good counsel
- To train students in the actual practice of law
- To promote the rewards of public service
Clinical Center Steps from Downtown Courts
Read the latest information on COVID-19 COURT OPERATIONS for The Fifth Judicial District of Pennsylvania (State Court)
Duquesne's commitment to clinical education is reflected in its facility for students, faculty, and clients. The Tribone Center for Clinical Legal Education enables Duquesne students to serve the community while working for credit and receiving practical legal education. Clinical opportunities include:
- Civil Rights Clinic
- Family Law Clinic
- Federal Litigation Clinic
- Wills and Healthcare Decisions Clinic
- Unemployment Compensation Clinic
- Urban Development Practicum
- Veterans Clinic
- Youth Advocacy Clinic
Duquesne offers students dozens of externship opportunities featuring educational and practical legal experience and professional mentorship while working in local, state, and federal judicial offices and government agencies as well as legal aid offices.
Yearlong externship programs feature on-site placement combined with classroom instruction and classroom credit. One-semester and summer-session externships feature on-site placement combined with seminars and non-classroom credit.
Yearlong Externship Programs include:
- Pennsylvania Innocence Project
- Criminal Prosecution Program
- Public Defender Program
- One-Semester and Summer-Session Externship Placements
The pro bono program features an attorney/student matching program and direct work wtih public interest organizatons. Read more about Duquesne University's pro bono program.
How to Register for a Clinic or Program
1. Watch the OPEN HOUSE presentation recording through ZOOM with the link below:
3. If you have question(s) about a special clinic/program or general registration, please e-mail Beth Licciardello at email@example.com so an appointment may be made for you with a professor.