Applied Mathematics BS Requirements
The B.S. in Applied Mathematics, which requires a minimum of 39 credit hours of mathematics, is recommended for students interested in scientific applications or further study in mathematics on the graduate level. A grade of C or better must be achieved in all MATH and COSC courses.
All Applied Mathematics majors must take the core courses in the list below.
- MATH 115: Calculus I (4 cr)
- MATH 116: Calculus II (4 cr)
- MATH 215: Calculus III (4 cr)
- MATH 250: Foundations of Mathematics (3 cr)
- MATH 301: Probability and Statistics I (3 cr)
- MATH 310: Linear Algebra (3 cr)
- MATH 410: Advanced Linear Algebra (3 cr)
- MATH 415W: Real Analysis I (3 cr)
Computer Programming Requirement: All Applied Mathematics majors must take a 3-credit programming course chosen from one of the following. NOTE: only COSC 160 counts towards the Computer Science major/minor).
- COSC 150: Computer Programming: C++
- COSC 160: Computer Programming: Java
- COSC 170: Computer Programming: Python
Science Requirement: All Applied Math majors must take at least 8 credits in science coursework that includes one sequence (and corresponding labs) chosen from: BIOL 111-112, BIOL 115-117, CHEM 121-122, or PHYS 211-212.
Mathematics Electives: 9 additional credit hours of MATH courses must be at the 300-level or above. These must include at least two of the following courses.
- MATH 302W: Probability and Statistics II (3 cr)
- MATH 325W: Applied Statistics with Regression (3cr)
- MATH 308: Numerical Analysis (3 cr)
- MATH 314: Differential Equations (3 cr)
Quantitative and Applied Tracks
Applied Mathematics Majors must complete one of the following tracks.
Quantitative Track: At least three courses chosen from the following. MATH 495 must be chosen as one of these courses.
- MATH 416W: Real Analysis II (3 cr)
- MATH 420: Introduction to Complex Variables (3 cr)
- MATH 471: Optimization (3 cr)
- MATH 473: Statisitical Computing (3 cr)
- MATH 445: Prediction and Classification Modeling (3 cr)
- MATH 495: Applied Mathematics Capstone (3 cr)
Applied Tracks: Applied math majors with second majors or minors in quantitative disciplines may choose a suite of technical coursework in their field with substantive mathematical content lieu of the quantitative track. Options include the following.
Biomedical Engineering track: At least three courses chosen from:
BMED 430, BMED 431, BMED 444, BMED 453, BMED 456
Chemistry/Biochemistry/Environmental Chemistry track: At least three courses chosen from:
CHEM 301, CHEM 328, CHEM 329, CHEM 401, CHEM 402, CHEM 412
Computer Science track: Students must take COSC 300 and choose at least two courses chosen from:
COSC 305, COSC 308*, COSC 410, COSC 418, COSC 423, COSC 425, COSC 435
*If not applied towards the 36 credits of MATH courses as MATH 308*
Econometrics track: At least three courses chosen from
ECON 301, ECON 481W, ECON 484W
Finance track: At least three courses chosen from
FINC 313, FINC 334, FINC 324, FINC 338, FINC 433W
Physics track: At least three courses chosen from
PHYS 302, PHYS 332 PHYS 374, PHYS 401, PHYS 461, PHYS 470, PHYS 473, PHYS 474, PHYS 475, PHYS 485
The B.S. major must also adhere the college core for the Bachelor of Science.