Internships: Get Career Ready!
- Earn 1 - 6 Political Science credits.
- Gain experience in politics, government, foreign affairs, homeland security, business, law, and much more! See list below for recent internship sites.
- Contact potential employers; learn with on-the-job training.
- Build your resume!
Internships available every semester, including summers. Register for POSC 430 and 431: Internship in Practical Politics--instructions here. To register, contact Internship Coordinator Lauren Watson: Handshake or email@example.com.
- At least 45 credits of courses completed
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
Basic Requirements for Internship:
- Students work at least 120 hours for the 3-credit course (40 work hours/credit)
- Students keep a daily log of activities (samples here) and email it bi-weekly to the faculty director.
- Students engage with the faculty director at least monthly to discuss issues/reflect on work.
- Students submit a 7-10 page reflection paper (samples here) to faculty director by end of semester.
- Grading: Pass/Fail. Worksite supervisor's report counts 50% of final grade.
Recent Internship Sites
U.S. Department of State
American Civil Liberties Union
Pittsburgh Department of City Planning
City of Pittsburgh Department of Innovation & Performance
Congressman Mike Doyle
U.S. Senator Bob Casey
World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania House of Representatives Fellowship
Frank Walker Law Firm
Keystone Trails Association