A A Email Print Share

Frequently Asked Questions

You may find answers to some of your questions on the College's Facebook site. If you don't find the answer to your question, write it on our wall, and we'll get an answer back to you.The College's student-written blog, will give you insight into what daily life at Duquesne is like, as experienced by a diverse group of Liberal Arts students.

Here are answers to a few questions we frequently get on:

What is the difference between the College and the University?
The College is one of the ten degree-granting divisions that comprise Duquesne University. The College includes the humanities, mathematics and computer science, and the social sciences.

How many credits are required to graduate from the College of Liberal Arts?
A minimum of 120 credits is required to receive a bachelor’s degree.

How many credits do I need to take to be a full-time student?
A minimum of 12 credits is considered full-time.

How many credits must I complete each semester to finish in four years?
A minimum of 15 credits must be completed each semester, excluding summer.

What is the minimum grade-point average required for graduation?
An overall minimum grade-point average of 2.0, which is a "C" grade average in a 4.0 system, is required for all bachelor’s degrees. Students also need to have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in their major and minor areas.

Is there a difference between University Core requirements and College Core requirements?
Yes. In addition to the University Core requirements, students in Liberal Arts must complete a set of courses referred to as the College Core requirements.

Must I complete my Core classes before starting my major courses?
No. The only Core courses required in the first year (except for Honors College students) are Thinking and Writing Across the Curriculum and Imaginative Literature and Critical Writing, consecutively. The remaining core requirements must be completed prior to graduation.

What are the different majors offered by the College?
Consult the list to the right.

Is there a pre-law major?
No. Students who plan to prepare for a career in law may select any undergraduate major. The Pre-Law Advisor in the College will help students meet their College degree requirements, while also preparing to meet the admission requirements of the law school of their choice.

Is a major required for graduation?
Yes. All graduates must fulfill the requirements of at least one major and one minor course of study. The Business Certificate, a second major, the Pre-Medical Professions Program, the Certificate in Intercultural Study or a second degree all may take the place of the minor. Students must officially declare their major and minor (or double major, multiple minors, etc.).

How do I declare or change my major?
To declare your major or minor go to the College's on-line major/minor declaration form. (You'll be prompted to log in first.) After you submit the form we'll send it to your major or minor department, which will contact you if you need to take any additional steps. If you're unsure whether you have already declared a major or minor you can check with the College Office by writing e-mail to liberalarts@duq.edu or calling 412-396-6389.

How long do I have before I need to declare a major in the College?
Students should declare a major as soon as they have decided on an area of interest, no earlier than the end of their first semester and no later than their sophomore year.

Can I still graduate in time if I change my major?
It is possible. However, the decision needs to be made early enough to allow for completion of all requirements, with special attention to courses with prerequisites.

Will a double-major program take more than four years to complete?
Students often choose two majors, and it is quite possible to finish both in four years, provided you start early enough in your undergraduate program.

What is the difference between a dual-degree program and a double-major program?
A dual-degree program entails the completion of both the Bachelor of Science and the Bachelor of Arts, whereas a double-major program involves the completion of one bachelor’s degree with two majors. Typically, most dual-degree programs require more than the minimum of 120 credits.

What are the dual-degree programs offered by the College?
Students in the College of Liberal Arts can complete a dual-degree program within the College of Liberal Arts, or with the School of Business Administration, the School of Education or the School of Natural and Environmental Sciences.

Is a foreign language required for graduation?
Yes. Graduates must be proficient at the highest intermediate level (202). The College strongly recommends that students begin their language courses or take other steps necessary to establish proficiency no later than the first semester of their sophomore year.

Can I study abroad as a College student?
Absolutely. We encourage all College students to study abroad at some point, or more than once. Consider the Rome Campus, pre-approved semester- or year-long programs, and Spring Breakaway courses. In many cases study abroad costs little more than a normal semester on campus. All credits and grades from approved programs become part of your Duquesne transcript.

How often should I meet with my advisor?
All Liberal Arts students are expected to meet with their academic advisor at least once each semester to prepare to register for the following semester. First-year students must meet with their advisor to register for classes. Advisors notify those they advise when it is time to schedule a meeting, through a Web-based appointment system.

How much time do I have to change my schedule once classes start?
You have through the first week of classes to change your schedule. The exact deadline for dropping and adding appears in the University's academic calendar.

What is the difference between dropping and withdrawing from a class?
You may drop a class only through the first week of classes. Dropping a class is a change of schedule. A dropped class does not appear on the semester grade report or final transcript. You may withdraw from a course after the drop/add period and before mid-term, except that a first-semester freshman may withdraw from a class through the last day of classes. The withdrawal deadline appears in the University's academic calendar. Withdrawal results in a grade of “W” for the course on the transcript, but does not affect the student's grade-point average.

How can I get information about financial aid and scholarships available to students in the College of Liberal Arts?
Students should contact their financial aid counselor in the Financial Aid Office, located in the Administration Building. They may also contact their major department for information about the availability of scholarships.

What are the requirements to be on the Dean’s List?
To be eligible for this distinction, the student must meet the following criteria:

  1. Complete a full-time schedule (at least 12 credits, exclusive of pass/fail credits).
  2. Receive no grade lower than a "C," regardless of how many credits have been taken.
  3. Receive no "Incomplete" grades, regardless of how many credits have been taken.
  4. Earn a minimum grade-point average of 3.5.

How do I go about transferring to a different school on campus?
Students considering transferring out of the College must first meet with their Liberal Arts academic advisor to discuss the process. They are also responsible for initiating contact with the other school to discuss the requirements for the new area of study.