Summer Jazz Experience 2022
Spend four activity-filled days rehearsing, performing, and learning about jazz, America's indigenous art form, in this informal, non-threatening environment. Play and learn alongside members of Duquesne University's jazz faculty, which is comprised of the best jazz musician-educators in the Pittsburgh area and beyond. This camp is open to students grades 8–12 and college students, regardless of skill level.
What Can You Expect?
- Rehearse and perform in both large and small jazz ensembles
- Interactive classes include improvisation, harmony, history, ear training, individual instrument sessions, and many more.
- The workshop concludes with a final concert on Thursday afternoon that will be professionally recorded; participants will receive this recording as a keepsake.
The Summer Jazz Experience begins with a half-day orientation on Sunday, June 26 from 1-4, where participants will sign in and attend a faculty presentation and reception.
Sample Daily Schedule - Monday, June 27–Thursday, June 30
- 9-10:30 a.m. - Large Ensemble Rehearsals
- 10:45-11:45 a.m. - Jazz History
- 11:45 a.m. - 1 p.m.- Lunch
- 1-1:30 p.m. - Faculty Jazz Session
- 1:45-3 p.m. - Small Ensemble Rehearsals (Improvisation)
- 3:15-4 p.m. - Jazz Harmony or Ear Training
- 4:15-5 p.m. - Large Ensemble Sectionals
Who Can Participate?
- If you have never played jazz before, please play any written music that demonstrates your abilities on your instrument.
- If you have played jazz, but don't feel comfortable improvising yet, please play any written music that demonstrates your abilities to play with a jazz feel.
- If you have played jazz and can improvise, please play any written music that demonstrates your abilities to play with a jazz feel and also improvise along with a play-along track of your choice.
Sunday, June 26 | 1 p.m.–4 p.m.
Monday, June 27–Thursday, June 30 | 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
This workshop is $295 for the week.
Materials & Accommodations
All participants have the option to submit a short video displaying their musical abilities for the purposes of possible scholarships and for ensemble placement. You will be able to upload your materials as part of the registration process. Register by Monday, June 13, 2022 for priority scholarship consideration.
Please plan to provide your own lunches. Overnight accommodations are not available.