Hire a Duquesne Musician
COVID-19 UPDATE (7/30/20): We are still accepting requests to hire musicians. However, please consider the safety of the musicians as you plan your event. Outdoor events are preferred, and please allow at least six feet of distance between both the musicians and others AND, if you are hiring an ensemble, between the musicians themselves. Musicians have the right to ask questions and make requests, including additional distancing, regarding their safety.
Duquesne University has many talented student and alumni musicians who can be hired for events such as weddings, worship services, receptions, dinners, business events, and concerts.The Mary Pappert School of Music has vetted these musicians and expects that they will uphold the highest professional and performance standards; however, we do not assume responsibility for student misconduct, including cancellations, no-shows, etc.
Please review our frequently asked questions before filling out our Musician Request Form.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the rates of Duquesne musicians?
Duquesne musicians set their own pay rates and negotiate with the client on all aspects of the gig. There are many factors that can affect the price:
- Number of musicians
- A string quartet will cost you more than a solo musician.
- Distance from Duquesne's campus
- Many of our musicians live in the neighborhoods surrounding the campus, and there is cost associated with traveling. The farther your event is from campus, the more travel costs may factor into the rates you are quoted.
- Music selection
- If the musicians need to purchase new sheet music or create a special arrangement of a song, that can affect the rate you are charged.
- If the music you request is very complex or difficult, musicians will need to spend more time rehearsing, which can affect the rate you are quoted.
- If musicians need to bring a lot of instruments or equipment for your event, they may charge more due to extra set-up and tear-down time.
The Mary Pappert School of Music does not act as an agent for the student musicians and does not issue contracts, nor is it responsible for contractual negotiations made between the client and musicians.
How far in advance should I book a performer/ensemble?
We ask that you submit your request at least one month in advance of the date of the event. Every attempt is made to honor all requests; however, it may be difficult to confirm musicians with fewer than four weeks' notice. Submitting the form does not guarantee that a student musician will be available for your event.
What kinds of music will Duquesne musicians provide?
Students at the Mary Pappert School of music are well-versed in almost any style of music. If you are not certain what kinds of songs or repertoire would suit your event, we will be happy to help you pick the perfect selections.
Still have questions?
Please contact Carrie McCormack at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to hire a musician?
Here's how it works:
- Fill out our Musician Request Form.
- Your request will be reviewed by the Student and Alumni Services Coordinator, who will then notify qualified Duquesne musicians.
- The Student and Alumni Services Coordinator will give your preferred contact information to available Duquesne musicians.
- Duquesne musicians will contact you to discuss and negotiate terms of agreement for gig.