Bachelor of Science in Music Education
As an undergraduate student in Music Education, you will launch your career as a board-certified music educator. Our curriculum emphasizes musicianship across PreK–12 public and private schools, both in classroom and rehearsal settings, enabling you to teach anywhere in the United States.
Our Program is Unique
- Our Music Education faculty are nationally- and internationally-known educators, scholars, conductors, and clinicians active within the profession.
- A dual degree option is available to Music Education majors who would also like a degree in Music Performance.
- In addition to their studies, our students maintain the highest standards in the areas of musicianship, pedagogy, and professionalism and work consistently with an extensive network of cooperating teachers in public school music settings (band, choir, orchestra, and general music) for field experiences that begin during the very first semester of the freshman year.
- While mastering pedagogical technique, Music Education students remain active as performers in a wide range of ensembles, as well as through applied lessons with our GRAMMY Award-winning Music Performance faculty.
- Home to an active collegiate chapter of the National Association for Music Education, the Mary Pappert School of Music fosters participation in chapters of related professional organizations including the National Band Association, the American Choral Directors Association, and the American String Teachers Association.
- Our graduates succeed.
Already know that Duquesne University is for you? Apply today -it only takes 15 minutes to start your application. Admission to the Mary Pappert School of Music also includes a formal audition. Learn more about the audition process & guidelines.