Graduate School Contacts and Policies



Ellen Gawalt, Ph.D., Interim Dean

Graduate Programs

Department of Biological Sciences
Jana Patton Vogt, Ph.D., Chair
Telephone: 412.396.1762

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Mihaela Rita Mihailescu, Ph.D., Chair
Telephone: 412.396.1430

Environmental Science and Management Program
John Stolz, Ph.D., Director
Telephone: 412.396.4367


Career Services Center
G-1 Rockwell Hall
Telephone: 412.396.6644/6645/6647

Cashier - Payment of Tuition and Fees
Ground Floor, Administration Building
Telephone: 412.396.6585/6587/6588

Commuter Affairs - Off-Campus Housing & Public Transportation Information
Room 117 Duquesne Union
Telephone: 412.396.6660

Counseling Center
Room 308, Administration Building
Telephone: 412.396.6204
Emergency & After-hours: 412.396.4747

English as a Second Language Program
434 College Hall
Telephone: 412.396.5091

Financial Aid
Ground Floor, Administration Building
Telephone: 412.396.6607

Student Health Insurance
All full-time students must have medical insurance coverage and provide the University with verifiable proof of coverage. If you have a question or need further information, contact Hulse/QM at 1-800-273-1715, or

Health Services
Second Floor Duquesne Towers
Telephone: 412.396.1650

Identification Cards
Room 203, Duquesne Union
Telephone: 412.396.6191

Information Center
Third Floor, Duquesne Union
Telephone: 412.396.6632/6633

Office of International Programs
601 Duquesne Union
Telephone: 412.396.6113

Public Safety
Public safety Building
Telephone: 412.396.6002/6003
Emergency: 412.396.4747

Ground Floor, Administration Building
Telephone: 412.396.6212

Residence Life - Housing Contracts and Room Assignments for Graduate Students
Duquesne Towers
Telephone: 412.396.6655/5028

Student Accounts Office
208 Administration Building
Telephone: 412.396.6585

Bayer School Graduate Policies

The following Graduate Policies of the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences are effective as of August 23, 2004. However, the University reserves the right to change requirements and regulations contained herein, including fees, tuition, and board and room, and to determine whether an individual has satisfactorily met the requirements for admission or graduation. While this document is intended to be a complete guide to Bayer School policies and procedures, situations may arise which are not covered. These issues will be decided on a case by case basis under the authority of the appropriate Graduate Studies Committee and the Dean.

The Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences Graduate Philosophy

Study in a graduate program emphasizes the development of the student's ability for independent work. As part of the graduate experience, studies should be designed to provide the student with superior preparation for his or her intended career. A student planning a career in scientific research, whether in industry or academe, is expected to make an original contribution to his or her research field. Students preparing for futures in science-related vocations should pursue applied coursework and internship experiences to reach superior levels of professional competency.

A Ph.D. recipient must be capable of producing published work that withstands peer review. Attaining the necessary level of expertise to allow one to make original contributions to a discipline requires dedication and perseverance.

Graduate Admission Information

Graduates with the Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in this country or its equivalent from a foreign institution, and an appropriate preparation in the proposed field of graduate work, will be considered for admission. The primary measure for admission of new applicants into a graduate program is the applicant's ability, as decided by the Admissions Committee, to complete the graduate program in a timely manner with a high level of achievement.

Factors which may be considered by the Admissions Committee:

  • Undergraduate academic record (note: deficiencies must be remedied, as dictated by the Admissions Committee, without graduate credit).
  • Required test scores.
  • Ability of the program to prepare the student for the stated career objectives.
  • Degree objectives.
  • Written and oral recommendations from those qualified to evaluate the applicant's academic record.
  • Personal interviews.
  • Matching of interests between faculty members and applicants.

Nondiscrimination Policy Statement

Notice of Nondiscrimination and Non-harassment Policy

Duquesne University, motivated by its Catholic identity, values equality of opportunity, human dignity, racial, cultural and ethnic diversity, both as an educational institution and as an employer. Accordingly, the University prohibits and does not engage in discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability or status as a veteran or disabled veteran. Further, Duquesne University will continue to take affirmative steps to support and advance these values consistent with the University's mission statement. This policy applies to all programs and activities of the University, including, but not limited to, admission and employment practices, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs and athletic or other University-sponsored programs. This is a commitment by the University in accordance with its religious values and applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Nothing herein, however, should be interpreted as a waiver by the University of its own Constitutional and legal rights based upon its religious affiliation. The person responsible for coordinating its efforts under this policy is Dr. Judith Griggs, Affirmative Action Officer, Room S-1, Assumption Hall, University Extension 412-396-6661.

Security Statistics, Policies, and Procedures

In accordance with the College and University Security Information Act (Pennsylvania Act 73 of 1988) and the U.S. Student Right to Know and Security Act (P.C. 101-542), information regarding Duquesne University's crime statistics, security policies, and procedures is available for viewing.

Application Procedures

Students may apply for admission as either an applicant for a degree or as a non-degree applicant. They must file an application for admission and such other documents as may be required with the Dean's Office of the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences for a graduate program either in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, or Environmental Science and Management. Applications can be requested from the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences. Application deadlines, requirements, and other program specific materials are available from the departments and at

Official Transcripts

A student applying for admission as a degree candidate must assume the responsibility of having the registrar of each institution previously attended mail an official transcript of record directly to the Office of the Dean. A transcript must be received from each institution attended, including any attended during summer sessions, regardless of whether or not the transcript of the last institution attended lists the record at the other institutions and regardless of whether or not credit was received.

Students who apply for admission while pursuing a Bachelor's degree are required to request a final official transcript, which states the date that the Bachelor's degree was conferred, upon completion of the undergraduate degree.

Transcripts and other documents which are submitted toward admission become the property of the University.

Required Examinations

Applicants for admission to the graduate programs are expected to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for the General (analytical, verbal and quantitative) exam. Students applying to programs in Biological Sciences and Chemistry and Biochemistry are encouraged, but not required, to submit subject specialty GRE scores. 

International students are required to submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score. More Information.

International students seeking support as a Teaching Assistant are required to submit scores for the Test of Spoken English (TSE). 


The applicant's file is reviewed after all fees, transcripts, application for admission, letters of recommendation, test scores and other documents have been received. If accepted, an official notification of admission is mailed to the student. Students whose records have been unfavorably reviewed for admission will receive notice to that effect.

Admission to pursue courses in the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences graduate programs is not to be construed as an assurance of ultimate degree candidacy.

At the discretion of the Dean of the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences or the Chair of the respective Graduate Admission Committee, a personal interview may be required of any applicant before admission.

Types Of Admission

Students will be admitted in one of the following ways:

1) Regular: This is a full and unconditional admission into a graduate degree program. Qualified applicants who file their application during the final year of work toward a bachelor's degree will be accepted as a regular graduate student pending their successful completion of their course of study. They must submit a supplementary transcript showing that the degree was awarded.

2) Provisional: Subject to fulfillment of a specific requirement normally stated in the letter of acceptance. When the requirement has been fulfilled, the student must submit a request for a change in status to the Office of the Dean.

3) Special Students: A qualified student who does not wish to become a degree candidate may, with the approval of the department, enroll for a particular course or courses. The student may receive official credit for the course. The student must apply for Special Student Status and submit an official transcript which shows the date on which the student's Bachelor's degree was conferred.

The application fee is ten dollars. Students under this status who wish to convert to degree-seeking status must consult with the appropriate Graduate Studies representative.

4) Temporary Transfer: This is granted to a student in good standing in any recognized graduate school who wishes to enroll in the graduate programs of the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences at Duquesne University for one term or summer session and who plans to return thereafter to his former college or university. He/she will not be required to submit a full transcript of credits, but must present a statement signed by the graduate dean that he/she is in good standing.

5) Campus Courtesy: Registered students in the undergraduate schools of Duquesne University, who require not more than twelve semester hours for the completion of their Baccalaureate studies, may begin graduate study with the approval of their Dean, provided, having met all other conditions, they have completed a minimum of eighteen undergraduate credits in the subject they wish to pursue. To such students, only courses numbered 500-599 can be offered. The maximum amount of credit thus earned shall not exceed six hours. Graduate students in other Schools of the University may enroll in graduate courses with the approval of both deans. Regular tuition is required for each course.

6) BS/MS ESM status: Undergraduate students in selected majors in the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences may apply for admission to the Master's program in Environmental Science and Management during their sophomore year of study. Students accepted into this 5-year program may pursue graduate courses in accordance with the academic program provided by the undergraduate Student Advisor. Students with this status will have one transcript and a cumulative GPA throughout the BS/MS course of study.

* Please note, in order to receive a graduate degree a student must be classified under "regular" status.

International Student Admissions

International students who wish to apply to Duquesne, in addition to the credentials required of all candidates, must provide proof of proficiency in English and proof of financial support. All students from non-English speaking countries are required to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination and have their scores sent to the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, Institution Code:2196. Proof of financial support can include bank statements or scholarship grants.

In addition, applicants who want to be considered for teaching assistantships must take the TSE (Test of Spoken English), administered by the Educational Testing Service. Upon receipt of these documents and acceptance into a graduate program, the International Student Advisor will send an I-20 form. The student takes the I-20 and a valid passport to the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy and applies for an F-1 visa. The Consular Officer may also require proof of English proficiency and financial support. The Consular Officer has final authority to approve visa applications.

International students must be full-time students. All international students must have major medical coverage. TOEFL-admitted students will be required to take an "English Diagnostic Examination" when they arrive on campus. Depending on the examination results, they may be required to take one or more English courses.

Due to additional processing requirements for International applicants, please visit the respective department's website for application deadline.

Applications completed after the above deadlines may be processed for consideration in the next application cycle upon applicant request.

Policy Statement On International Education

The mission of Duquesne University's founders, the Holy Ghost Congregation, has always included service to peoples outside of the United States. Duquesne University also is committed to providing an educational environment which recognizes cultural and national pluralism. Duquesne welcomes qualified students from throughout the world and encourages its students and faculty to take advantage of opportunities to study and teach abroad.

The University believes that the sharing of the multiple traditions and mores of societies is an invaluable element in the educational process. In a world that is growing ever smaller, it is imperative that Duquesne reach out to peoples of different cultures to afford them the opportunity to acquire educational experiences not otherwise available to them. Interaction among international and American faculty and students will enrich all and enhance their ability to be better citizens of our shared world.

Duquesne University asserts its commitment to develop and to maintain programs, services and practices which promote and express respect for persons of diverse cultures and backgrounds and which provide educational bridges linking peoples of the world.

English Language Proficiency Requirements

Duquesne University has committed itself to providing international matriculants and teaching assistants with opportunities to achieve maximum academic success. In pursuit of this commitment, the University seeks early identification of student and teaching assistant proficiency in English.


Since English is the language of instruction at Duquesne University, all accepted undergraduate and graduate students whose first language is other than English are required to sit for English Language Placement Tests. Students who submit official scores of 575 or higher, current to within one year, on the International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are excused from English Language Placement Tests except for written and spoken English tests.

If test results indicate needed assistance with English, the student will be enrolled for appropriate courses in the on-campus ESL Program. The number of major related courses that may be taken together with any assigned ESL classes will also depend upon placement testing results.

International Teaching Assistants

Pennsylvania state law and Duquesne University policies require certification of sufficient English language fluency for all faculty and teaching assistants. Teaching assistants whose first language is other than English are required to sit for additional language assessment conducted by the Duquesne University ESL Program and the Center for Teaching Excellence in cooperation with the teaching assistants' academic department. If certification assessment indicates a need for assistance with English, the teaching assistant will be enrolled in required language classes to be taken together with or in place of major-related courses. ITA's who have already submitted a score of 50 or above on the revised TSE are excused from the required SPEAK Test.

TOEFL Requirements

All international applicants to graduate degree programs are required to submit official TOEFL score reports current to within one year as part of their application. Applicants to undergraduate degree programs are not required to submit TOEFL scores as part of their application for admission since Duquesne University maintains an on-campus ESL Program. However, because TOEFL scores are required for waiver from certain ESL courses as well as for exit from the ESL Program, submission of TOEFL scores is strongly recommended for undergraduate applicants. The Duquesne University TOEFL Institution code is 2196. Policy current as of September 2004

Financial Information

Application Fee: An application fee of $40.00 is charged all degree seeking Environmental Science and Management applicants. There is no application fee for graduate Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry applicants.

The special student (non-degree seeking) application fee is $10.00

FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY: international application processing fee of $40.00 applies.

All appropriate fees must accompany the application form and cannot be refunded. Check should be made payable to Duquesne University.


2021 - 2022 Academic Year

Per Course Credit Hour.................$1,568.00 

Note: The fees for auditors are the same as those for regularly matriculated students.

Continuous Registration: Can only be used once a graduate student completes ALL required courses (with the exception of Seminar and Assistantship).

GNES 700: Continuous Reg. – HT: Gives a student who is completing research but not on an assistantship half–time status. It is for US citizens or permanent residents only; International students cannot use this registration option. GNES 700 has a $760 fee attached.

GNES 701: Continuous Reg. – FT: Gives full–time status to a student who is completing research but not on an assistantship. Students may need full–time status for loan deferment or insurance purposes. GNES 701 has a $760 fee attached.

Thesis and Dissertation Fees (See Semester Schedule)

Thesis and Dissertation fees are not covered by Graduate Scholarships.

For Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD), each student may be required to pay a publishing fee.

Students may also order bound copies or copyright registration for an additional charge.

Additional miscellaneous fee information is listed with appropriate dates in the Schedule of Classes booklet each semester.

The University reserves the right to change tuition and fees at any time.

Important: Registrations will not be processed or recognized as official registrations unless satisfactory financial arrangements have been finalized. This may be accomplished by:

  1. Making payment in full to the cashier at or prior to the close of final registration.
  2. Coming to final registration and utilizing the student financing program.

Delay or postponement of payment will cause forfeiture of class places obtained.

All charges and computations made at final registration will be computer audited. Resulting corrections will be either credited to the student's account for overpayment or billed to the student for underpayment.

Pre-registration: Students with a balance due to the University for the current semester or prior terms are not permitted to register for the next semester.

Room And Board

On-campus dormitory housing is available for graduate students on a limited, space available, basis.


After the last day of the period provided for change in program, as announced in the University Calendar, no tuition shall be refunded for any course which the student may discontinue. Exception to this rule may be made only in cases of total withdrawal from the University.

Students who withdraw from the University for a satisfactory reason within five weeks after the opening of the semester are entitled to a proportionate refund of tuition provided that they notify their dean at the time of withdrawal.

Refunds are made in accordance with the following schedule.


First Week - 80%
Second Week - 80%
Third Week - 40%
Fourth Week - 20%
After the Fourth Week - 0%

(This schedule applies to tuition only - fees are not refunded.)

No refund will be made in the case of students who are requested to withdraw as a result of faculty action.

During the Summer Session, remission of tuition is made as follows for the six-week session:

First Week - 60% Refund
Second Week - 20% Refund

There are no refunds after the second week of a Summer Session. Fees are not refundable. Refunds for sessions other than the six-week session are in proportion to the six-week policy.

Student Financing Program

Duquesne University students desiring payment of their tuition and other charges for the semester by installment should contact Student Accounts in person at Final Registration. All prior charges must be paid in full before the student is eligible for this plan.

Financial Aid for Graduate Students


The Department of Biological Sciences, the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, and the Center for Environmental Research and Education have available graduate assistantships. They are assigned on a competitive basis to students who have completed their undergraduate work with distinction. Re-appointments are made upon the basis of a periodic review by supervisors and upon satisfactory progress toward a degree. Applicants interested in graduate assistantships should check the appropriate box on the graduate application form. Current students seeking to apply for assistantships should notify the Graduate Studies Committee of their department in writing.

Students holding a graduate assistantship are required to render twenty hours of service per week to the University. Teaching Assistantship contracts run from July 1 or the day you start our program until June 30 or the day you leave our program. Teaching assistants are expected to be working on research year round.


A small number of full and partial tuition scholarships are available to qualified candidates, with preference given to research-track students. Recipients of these awards are selected by the departmental Graduate Studies Committee. Those interested in applying for these scholarships should check the appropriate box on the application form or notify the Graduate Studies Committee in writing.

Federally Subsidized Student Loans

Stafford Loans

The Stafford Loan program provides low-interest loans for both full- and part-time graduate students. Full-time students are eligible to borrow up to $20,500 per academic year, according to individual circumstances. Students enrolled at least half time (minimum of four credits per semester) may borrow a reduced amount. The program is a cooperative effort of private lending institutions and state and federal governments. Applications may be obtained through a bank or other lending institution

Plus/Supplemental Loans for Students

Loans are available to independent graduate students at a maximum amount per academic grade level (amounts available from the Financial Aid Office). Repayment begins 60 days after disbursement of funds. Interest rates cannot exceed 12%. Applications and information are available through banks and other lending institutions. While these loans are not need based, eligibility for Stafford loans must be determined for independent students. This requires a needs analysis document.

Institutional Need-Based Aid

Perkins Loan Fund

Loans are available to both full-time and half-time students who demonstrate financial need and are making acceptable progress toward a degree. It should be noted that due to limited funding, these loans are normally awarded only to full-time students. Recipients are selected in accordance with guidelines published by the Federal Government. Loan repayment does not begin until nine months after the borrower terminates at least half-time study, and is scheduled over a 10-year period at a current interest rate of five percent a year.

Student Employment

Two programs of employment are available to financial aid applicants who demonstrate need. The first is the College Work-Study program which is financed principally by Federal appropriations and awarded as aid in accordance with guidelines published by the Federal government. The second program is referred to as the General program which is funded by the University. In addition to considerations of financial need, placement in a part-time position is contingent upon available jobs. Student employment is limited to a maximum of fifteen working hours a week when classes are in session. Students working under either program may not retain outside jobs during the academic year. Students with teaching assistantships are not eligible to participate.

Application Procedure: Institutional Need-Based Aid

1. Applicants must be currently enrolled in the University or be in the process of applying for admission. Incoming students should not wait for official acceptance to the University before beginning the application process.

2. Obtain the formal application for financial assistance. Forms are available in the Financial Aid Office, Ground Floor, Administration Building, (412) 396-6607. Complete the application and submit it no later than May 31.

3. Obtain from the Financial Aid Office a financial need document. Complete and submit it according to instructions. Statements take four to eight weeks to process and therefore should be submitted as early as possible.

4. Students who have attended any other post-secondary institution for undergraduate and/or graduate study must file a Financial Aid Transcript from each institution. These forms are available through the Financial Aid Office.

5. New students must submit a copy of their letter of admission to the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences to the Financial Aid Office before their financial aid application can be processed.

Graduate Registration

Prior Advisement

After a student has been admitted to a graduate program in the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, he/she should consult the Director of Departmental Affairs in the Department in which he/she is enrolled for curriculum advisement. The written approval of the Faculty Advisor or ESM Program Advisor, or a delegate, is required in advance of each registration for any course creditable toward a graduate degree. Approval of program may be obtained during the pre-registration or registration periods of each session.

Where to Register

Following departmental approval the biology, chemistry, or biochemistry student should bring the signed registration form to the Dean's Office for processing. ESM students should contact the ESM Program Advisor for registration information. The registration days and hours will be reported to the student each semester via a mailed registration packet. Incoming teaching assistants will receive course advisement prior to the start of classes and/or at Orientation.

Official Registration

Registration is considered complete and official only when all charges are paid or when satisfactory arrangements have been made with the Student Accounts Office. Admission to any class is permitted only to those students who have officially registered for that class.

Continuous Registration

To maintain graduate status, a student must be enrolled full-time, part-time or on-leave basis from the time of first enrollment in the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences until the completion of all requirements for the graduate degree. All graduate students who are not registered for a graded course but who are working toward a degree must register each fall and spring semester for Continuous Registration and pay the assigned fee. A student who does not complete all degree requirements by the last day of the semester must be registered for the following semester. When a student is not taking courses, but is taking comprehensives, language exams or applying for graduation, he/she must also register for continuous registration.

Master's and Doctoral students must register for the 4 credit hour (half-time status) continuous registration fee, unless full-time status is needed for teaching assistantship, research assistantship, loan procurement, health insurance, or immigration purposes.

Leave of Absence

Students who are unable to pursue courses during a Fall or Spring semester due to extenuating circumstances may apply for a Leave of Absence. Students on Leave of Absence are exempt from the Continuous Registration fee, and do not accrue time against the Statute of Limitations. Students should send the written request for leave of absence to the Graduate Studies Committee, including any appropriate documentation. The student will be notified in writing of the decision.

Cross Registration

Full-time Duquesne University students may cross-register in the Graduate Schools (Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary) of the Pittsburgh Council of Higher Education (PCHE) on a space-available basis for one course per semester. Students should check with their advisor concerning departmental cross-registration regulations. Duquesne University students who are participating in this program are charged Tuition and University Fee in accordance with the current rates charged by Duquesne University; however, students are responsible for paying any course or laboratory fees to the host institution. There is no cross-registration during the Summer semesters.

The cross-registration is subject to the approval of the Deans of the Schools involved and must be recommended as well by the student's advisor. Full credit and grade will be transferred; the academic regulations of the host institution will prevail.

The lists of courses will be available at the Office of the Registrar, and are frequently available on-line at the web site of the host university. The cross-registration forms may be obtained from the Dean's Office.

Audit Courses

To audit courses, a student must be officially registered and pay the same charges for courses that are taken for credit. Enrollment in a course for audit is subject to the approval of the student's academic advisor. Registration in a course as Auditor must be declared at registration and is irrevocable after the mid-term exam period. Audited courses do not count toward graduate degree requirements. Teaching or research assistant scholarships will not cover audit courses.

Cancellation Of Courses

The University makes every reasonable effort to offer courses as announced in the Semester Schedule of Courses and the Summer Session Bulletin. It reserves the right, however, to make changes or cancel courses in the academic schedule because of insufficient enrollment or for any other equally valid reason.

Change Of Schedule

Students requiring a change of class schedule, to add or to drop a class, are permitted to do so during the pre-registration period, the final registration period, and the first class week of the semester. Change of class schedule is not permitted after the Latest Date for Change of Schedule as announced in the semester academic calendar. All schedule changes must be approved by the academic advisor and processed by the Dean's Office. Students who tardily process change forms are not entitled to refund for the course credits dropped. Courses dropped after the deadline for making schedule changes are classified as course withdrawals.

Withdrawal From A Course

If a student wishes to withdraw from a course, he/she may do so with the approval of the academic advisor and by processing the proper form up to the withdrawal deadline listed on the Office of the Registrar’s Academic Calendar.

If a student wishes to withdraw from a course after that date, the student must present valid reasons and seek approval of the faculty advisor and the Dean of the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences. If approval is given, the student then initiates the appropriate form through the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, Dean's office.

A student who is not granted approval of the request and withdraws from the course unofficially will receive an F grade for the course.


The graduate candidate must file a formal Academic Degree Application at the Dean's Office prior to the date listed in the University Calendar (generally the first month of the semester). Candidates need to make complete settlement of their financial accounts with the University, in addition to program curriculum requirements and required survey information before the degree will be granted.

Academic Policies

Student Records


The following grading system is in effect for Graduate Programs in the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences:

A ______ Distinguished Scholarly work

A- ______

B+ ______

B ______ Normal progress toward degree

B- ______

C+ ______

C ______ Warning-student subject to faculty action

F ______ Failure: course must be repeated; student subject to faculty action

I ______ Incomplete: grade is deferred because of incomplete work. See below.

IP ______ In progress: used for Thesis & Dissertation credits only.

W ______ Official Withdrawal

LG ______ Late Grade: grade was not reported by faculty in time for the semester grade report sent to students

P ______ Pass: used in certain courses without quality points.

X ______ Student continued to show on roster, but never attended class.

The use of plus/minus grading is at the discretion of the course instructor and should be announced at the beginning of the course or printed in the course syllabus.

Incomplete grades may be given when there are extenuating circumstances which prevent the student from completing coursework. To be eligible, the student must have completed 80% of the course requirements. Every effort should be made to complete the work within one semester under terms agreed upon by the instructor and the student.  "I" grades automatically becomes "F" grades after one year.

Graduate students must maintain a letter grade average not lower than B (3.00 QPA) while in course. Students failing to meet this standard may be subject to faculty action, including dismissal, for failure to maintain normal progress toward a degree. Any student having less than 3.00 as a final quality point average at the conclusion of course work will be ineligible for graduation. The above plus and minus grades may be used at the discretion of the individual instructor.

Quality Point System

The student's overall academic quality point average (QPA) is obtained by dividing the total quality points earned by the total number of semester hours attempted. These quality point values of grades are used for each credit attempted:

Points Per Grade Credits Attempted

A 4.0

A- 3.7

B+ 3.3

B 3.0

B- 2.7

C+ 2.3

C 2.0

F 0.0

Courses in which grades P, I, and W were given are not used in calculating the quality point average.

No grade is recorded for advance standing or transfer credits. These credits are therefore not counted in the QPA.

Semester Grade Reports

Every registered student who is sent a report of grades to the permanent address on record soon after the close of each semester.


Each student may receive a summary transcript of his or her complete academic record at the close of each academic year upon request. Students should carefully examine their records periodically for accuracy and immediately report errors to the Registrar.

To obtain additional copies of their academic records, students must write to the Registrar for transcripts for themselves or for other institutions and agencies. All official transcripts issued by the Office of the Registrar bear the signature of the Registrar and the embossed seal of the Office of the Registrar. Whenever an official transcript is released directly to the student it will also bear the stamped designation, Issued to Student.

No transcript will be issued unless all financial obligations owed by the student to the University have been fulfilled. A fee of $5.00 is charged for the issuance of each transcript.

Confidentiality of Student Records

The University regards the student's personal information and academic record as a matter of confidence between the student and the University. The contents of either may be revealed only in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-380, Section 438, as amended).

Statute Of Limitation For Master's And Ph.D. Candidates

All work leading toward a Master's degree shall be completed within a maximum of six years after matriculation.

All work acceptable toward the Ph.D. degree shall be completed within a maximum period of seven years after receiving Ph.D. candidacy.. Extension will be granted only under special circumstances with approval of the Dean, based on the recommendation of the research advisor and the Chair of the Department.

Individual departments or programs may have additional requirements.

Residence Requirements

Requirements are met in course for the Master's degree. Doctoral students are expected to spend at least two full years in full-time residence at Duquesne University.

Inactive Status

Students must be registered for both Fall and Spring semesters from entry into a degree program until completion. A student who interupts his/her course of study must obtain a leave of absence from a degree program. Such a leave must be approved by the department's Chair of Graduate Studies and the Dean on request by the student. A student who fails to register for Fall or Spring semester or obtain a leave of absence will be considered inactive and will be removed from the program.

Students who interrupt their course of study without approved leave of absence will be subject to re-application and required to adhere to curricular requirements in place at the time of re-entry. Re-admission is not guaranteed.

Transferred Graduate Credit

With the approval of the Chair of the Department, graduate work done at other accredited institutions may be offered in partial fulfillment of course requisites, provided the grade is not lower than the grade of B or its equivalent from a foreign institution. A maximum of six credits may be accepted towards the Master's degree. Transfer of credits toward a Doctoral degree is determined by committee action in each individual case.

Semester Review

The student's progress will be reviewed each semester by both the Dean's Office and the student's Department. Should the student fail to perform on a level satisfactory to the Advisory Committee or to the Dean, he/she may be placed on probation or asked to discontinue graduate study.

Summer Session

Courses may be scheduled by departments during any one or any combination of modules throughout the summer period.

Credits earned during any of the summer sessions may be applied toward the fulfillment of requirements for advanced degrees in the same manner and subject to the same rules and regulations as credits earned during fall and spring semesters.

Master's / Ph.D. Regulations

Please see appropriate web site for your area of interest:

Biological Sciences

Chemistry and Biochemistry

Environmental Science and Management

Completion of the Thesis/Dissertation

Master's candidates following Plan A shall present a thesis. The completed Master's thesis requires the signatures of the research advisor, all committee members, outside reader (if applicable), Chair of the Department and Dean of the Bayer School.

All Ph.D. candidates must present a dissertation which meets the requirements of the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences. The completed Ph.D. dissertation requires the signatures of the research advisor, all committee members, outside reader (if applicable), Chair of the Department and Dean of the Bayer School.

Guidance regarding thesis and dissertation requirements should come from the
Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) Guidelines.

After the research has been completed and the dissertation/thesis written, the candidate shall be given a final examination in which he/she publicly defends the dissertation/ thesis and demonstrates to the examining committee that he/she has all of the capabilities for which the degree is awarded.

An abstract must accompany each dissertation or thesis. Care must be taken in the preparation of the abstract. The abstract will be published in Dissertation Abstracts or Masters Abstracts.

Schedule for Electronic Submission of Thesis and Dissertation

Effective Fall 2007, all schools at the University will follow one standard for the electronic filing of Thesis and Dissertations (ETD process).

Each graduation candidate is responsible for knowing and respecting the ETD process and meeting the standards of Duquesne University, as presented in the “Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines.” Candidates must refer to the guidelines for general format, recommended style, types of font and print quality, line spacing, margins, headings, pagination, references, and how to present tables/figures/equations. The Guidelines also include illustrated pages of the procedures graduation candidates must follow.

Outline of the ETD process (students should refer to the Guidelines for a comprehensive overview):

  • Attend an ETD workshop designed to prepare students for writing a dissertation or thesis
  • Create your ETD (PDF version) and submit to committee prior to the defense date
  • Receive final approval from Committee after the defense
  • Obtain and complete all required forms (ETD checklist, ETD approval form, Formatting checklist, and the ProQuest publishing agreement form and paperwork). All required forms are available at the Gumberg Library. In addition, students and their Committees are responsible for identifying and completing all required and optional forms pertinent to their scholarly activity.
  • Burn the original (word processing) and PDF versions of your document to a CD.
  • Create and complete an online account on the Gumberg Library's ETD site.
  • Bring all paperwork and materials to the Dean's Office for an approval signature and additional required forms to be completed
  • Bring all paperwork and materials to the ETD office in the Gumberg Library before the University deadline.
  • The thesis/dissertation will be reviewed by the ETD Coordinator and students will be notified by email once it is approved.

The thesis or dissertation along with all ETD paperwork and checklists must be completed, signed, and submitted by the University deadline. The deadline is listed on the Schedule of Classes as the “Latest date for prospective December/May/August graduates to submit approved theses and take comprehensives,” which will be followed without exception. Note that the University deadline is typically several weeks before the last day of class and is not a trivial process. Therefore, students and their committees must plan accordingly.