About the Program
As a student in our five-year program you will receive the best forensic science education possible. Our mission is to provide you with a high quality education in the natural and forensic sciences, and to advance scientific knowledge and improve society through research and education, thereby contributing to the mission of Duquesne University.
You will learn laboratory-based natural biology and biochemistry as well as forensic scientific and legal foundations. By the time you enter the workplace you will be prepared to start your career with an excellent background and knowledge base in the forensic sciences. You will also have a comprehensive knowledge of the applicable principles of the law as it pertains to forensic science.
As a student in our program, you will:
- have an appreciation of professional and ethical concepts early in your college education.
- gain an understanding of the nexus that forensic science has with the law.
- have a comprehensive science and math educational background in order to be successful in upper level courses.
- be able to apply scientific principles to forensic problems in a laboratory setting.
- experience the broad diverse nature of the forensic community by participating in local, regional and national professional organizations and/or meetings.
- have an appreciation of the advances and changes in the forensic sciences and be able to adapt to those changes.
- have skills and a level of knowledge that will allow you to be a significant contributor to furthering the science of forensics upon graduation.
The Forensic Science and Law Master Degree Program is fully accredited by the Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission. Our program is one of an elite group of forensic science programs to be accredited at the master's level. First obtained in 2009, our accreditation has been renewed twice.
FEPAC is sponsored by the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS), which awards the designation after a strict evaluation every five years. FEPAC-accredited programs have been rigorously reviewed and found to meet the standards for high quality forensic science education.
By choosing our accredited program, you will have the added assurance that your education will assist you in establishing a career in forensic sciences.
Watch: Virtual Open House
Program director Dr. Pamela Marshall introduces you to our program. You'll also hear from current students, and from our advisors, who share their role in helping you achieve your goals.
Still have questions?
View our program brochure for additional details.
Feel free to contact us! We love to hear from prospective students and their families. We will be happy to answer your questions, arrange a campus visit, and even connect you with current students!