Message from the Dean
Mary Ellen Smith Glasgow
Dear Prospective and Current Students, Alumni, and Friends of the School of Nursing,
Greetings from Duquesne University School of Nursing!
At Duquesne, we offer a transformational education for the mind, heart and spirit. Faculty pride themselves on creating an energetic, engaging learning environment, one that emphasizes ethical practice, community service, and a commitment to social justice in addition to leading edge technologies and curriculum.
The School of Nursing has a rich innovative 81-year history that includes the first online PhD in Nursing Program in the nation in addition to other ground-breaking programs such as our Dual Undergraduate Degree in Nursing and Biomedical Engineering, Forensic Nursing Program, and a PhD in Nursing Ethics Program.
The School of Nursing offers endless professional and personal opportunities for students and faculty:
- Ranked #9 among Catholic Universities
- Recognized by the National League for Nursing as a Center of Excellence for Creating Environments that Enhance Learning and Professional Development 3 times
- Ranked #57 in Doctor of Nursing Practice Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #64 in Graduate Schools by U.S. News & World Report
- Newly Ranked #22 in Family Nurse Practitioner Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #17 in Graduate Nursing Online Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report
- A 7,000 square foot state-of-the art Learning and Simulation Center
- Offers an undergraduate nursing development program specific to veterans
- Offers a Nursing Honors Program
- Our Center for Research for Underserved and Vulnerable Populations is dedicated to building a community of scholars that includes both faculty and students
- Exciting study abroad opportunities in Rome, Ireland, and Nicaragua in our BSN, MSN, DNP and PhD Programs
- Hosts the annual McGinley-Rice Symposium Exploring Social Justice for Vulnerable Populations
- Hosts the biennial Carol Carfang Nursing & Healthcare Ethics Conference
- Situated in Pittsburgh, known as having one of the best healthcare systems in the nation
- A strong emphasis on nursing ethics across all programs
- A premier faculty who are expert clinicians, researchers, teachers, and mentors
- Technology infused where electronic books and applications are accessed via mobile technology in our undergraduate program so students can study and retrieve information anytime, any place because the nurse is the health technology expert of the future
- A pioneer in online learning with skilled online faculty and cutting-edge curriculum
I hope you consider applying to one of our extraordinary nursing programs and becoming part of our Duquesne nursing community. You will have the opportunity to work with our innovative and talented faculty to prepare for many diverse roles in a rapidly changing health care environment. Make a difference, Become a Duquesne Nurse.
Mary Ellen Smith Glasgow, PhD, RN, ANEF, FAAN
Professor and Dean