Second Degree BSN Admissions for International Students
Duquesne University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign nationals. However, no immigration documents can be issued until all application materials, including financial resource certification, have been received. All international students are required to have health insurance per U.S. immigration law and University policy. For more information, please visit the Center for Global Engagement.
Applicants please note:
Individuals planning to practice in Pennsylvania who have been convicted of any crime (felony or misdemeanor) in any court or who have any criminal charges pending/unresolved may be prohibited from licensure or re-licensure as a Registered Nurse OR may be mandated to complete additional requirements in order to be eligible for licensure, as determined by the PA State Board of Nursing. Any student with such a history must contact the PA State Board of Nursing Bureau of Health Professionals Monitoring (717-783-4857) for guidance prior to enrollment.
Students who plan on applying for licensure outside of the state of Pennsylvania should contact the State Board of Nursing in their respective state.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
English is the language of instruction at Duquesne University.
ALL accepted undergraduate students whose first language is other than English, are required to sit for English Language Placement Tests.
Second Degree nursing applicants are required to take the International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. Scores should be submitted as part of the application.
Students who submit official TOEFL scores of 575p (90 iBT) or higher, current to within one year, are excused from English Language Placement Tests except for the written and spoken English tests.
School of Nursing Admissions Criteria
You must meet all international admissions requirements as determined by the Center for Global Engagement, in addition to the School of Nursing admissions requirements:
1. BS or BA degree from an institution of higher learning recognized as an acceptable equivalent to a U.S. college or university.
2. A demonstrated record of acceptable academic success.
3. You may apply to the Second Degree BSN Program before the prerequisite coursework is completed. Prerequisite coursework must be completed prior to fall enrollment.
|Completed within the last 5 years:|
|Anatomy and Physiology I with lab||4 credits|
|Anatomy and Physiology II with lab||4 credits|
|Completed within the last 10 years:|
|Biology or Chemistry with lab||4 credits|
|Microbiology with lab||4 credits|
|Human Growth and Development||3 credits|
4. A score of 575 or higher (90 iBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The score should be sent directly to the Office of International Programs.
5. A credential evaluation from the World Education Services (WES) for course work is required. The results must be sent directly to the School of Nursing.
6. Satisfactory personal/phone interview with a School of Nursing program advisor. Interviews may be arranged by calling the School at 412-396-4945 or email@example.com.
7. A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to become a student.
8. Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
The application and ALL supporting documents (see below) must be received by the deadline date. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
1. Complete the online Duquesne University Undergraduate Application.
Please choose the INTERNATIONAL application, not the Undergraduate application. The application must be complete and received by the deadline date. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
NOTE: An essay, personal statement and reference letters are no longer required as part of the application process. The online application may be submitted without it. Please contact the Nurse Recruiter, Gina Plocki at SecondDegreeBSN@duq.edu with any questions.
2. Upload the following documents to your application portal:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume (suggested)
- Completed Prerequisite Requirement Completion/Summary Plan
3. Request official transcripts from ALL PREVIOUS undergraduate and graduate work to be sent directly to the School of Nursing.
(DO NOT SEND TO THE UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS)
- If you have ever attended Duquesne University, the University Registrar's Office will automatically forward an official transcript for any Duquesne University coursework directly to the School of Nursing on your behalf. This transcript will be provided as a courtesy and free of charge. No transcripts from schools other than Duquesne University will be forwarded from the University Registrar's Office. You will need to request other transcripts from the originating school(s).
Duquesne University School of Nursing
Second Degree Application
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15282
Send by Escript to SecondDegreeBSN@duq.edu
4. Choose a program of study: 12 month or 16 month format. Go here to compare the curriculum for each program of study. Please note, you have until the first week of class to change your program of study plan. Contact Gina Plocki if you decide to change your initial choice.
5. Arrange for TOEFL scores to be sent directly to the Center for Global Engagement.
6. Arrange for WES evaluation to be sent directly to the School of Nursing.