Insurance Issue for Study Abroad

All students studying abroad are required to have adequate health insurance as well as medical evacuation and repatriation coverage.  You will be required to file an “Overseas Insurance Coverage Certification” with the Office of International Programs.  Keep in mind three basic principles of having adequate health insurance while abroad:


  1. Your medical insurance coverage good at home SHOULD always remain in place while abroad.
  2. Check with your insurance provider to see a) whether your provider will cover you for a medical incident while abroad, and b) how payment would occur.  In most cases, if your insurance carrier covers medical incidents abroad, you would be required to pay the doctor/hospital bill and then be reimbursed.
  3. Duquesne University will automatically provide MEDEX emergency assistance and evacuation/repatriation coverage on all students studying abroad.  You will be billed for this at a cost based on your length of time abroad.  The cost is modest.  You can, therefore, fill out your “Overseas Insurance Coverage Certification” form knowing that you have the required medical evacuation/repatriation. Click here for more information on MEDEX.


It is important that you and your parents research and become informed about the extent of your insurance coverage while abroad and any required pre-approval processes, deductibles, etc.  ALERT YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER THAT YOU WILL BE OUT OF THE COUNTRY AND ASK THEM TO NOTE THIS ON YOUR RECORD.  We have learned that this can greatly expedite approvals if a medical incident occurs.


Helpful Questions to Ask Your Insurance Provider Before Departure

List of Supplemental Insurance Providers - If you determine that your current medical insurance is not adequate.