Q. What is Financial Aid?
A. Financial aid can take many forms. At Duquesne University, graduate student financial aid can be scholarships, assistantships, federal work study, and student loans.
Q. How do I apply for Financial Aid?

For all scholarships and assistantships, you need to speak with your graduate program staff. Who receives this type of assistance is determined at the department or program level not by the Financial Aid office.

Eligibility for Graduate Student loans and Federal Work Study are determined by the Financial Aid office at Duquesne University.

Q. Are Law Students eligible for Academic Scholarships?
A. Yes, all law school applicants will be evaluated for merit and academic based scholarships by the Law School Admissions Committee.
Q. Who can apply for a federal student loan?
A. Only citizens and permanent residents of the United States who are in good academic ' standing and enrolled at least half-time in degree programs are eligible to apply for federal loan funds. Most Graduate Schools at Duquesne University define half-time as registration 4.5 credits per semester. A student must maintain at least half-time registration during the entire period of time covered by a loan.
Q. What forms do Graduate Students and Law Students need to apply for federal student loans and federal work study?
A. Initially, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 
Q. What is Duquesne University's code for the FAFSA?
A. 003258.
Q. Do I have to file a FAFSA each year?
A. If you expect to receive federal student loans or federal work study, the answer is yes, even if your income does not change dramatically.
Q. What is the deadline to apply for federal aid as a graduate student?
A. To receive maximum consideration for aid, students must complete a FAFSA and a Graduate Aid Application prior to May 31st each year.
Q. What are the federal loans that are available to students?

Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan Program
Graduate students are eligible to borrow an unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan. A student who borrows unsubsidized loan funds is responsible for interest; interest accrual begins on the date of disbursement. The maximum amount of unsubsidized loan that a student may borrow is $20,500 per academic year. A student's eligibility is determined by subtracting all other forms of aid, including other loans, from the cost of education.

Q. Can my Financial Aid package exceed the Cost of Education?
A. No.
Q. What if my remaining Cost of Education is larger than $20,500 for the academic year?
A. You may want to take out a Federal Direct PLUS loan.