Applying for Aid as a Graduate and Law Student

Financial aid can take many forms. At Duquesne University, graduate student financial aid can be scholarships, assistantships, federal work study, and student loans:

How to Apply for Loans for Graduate School and Law School

Each academic year, the following two items must be submitted:

  1. Complete the FAFSA online (DU school code 003258).
  2. Download printable Duquesne Application for Financial Aid (not required for Law students).

Dates and Deadlines

To receive maximum consideration for aid, students must complete a FAFSA and the Application for Financial Aid prior to May 31st each year.  You must complete a FAFSA form annually to receive aid each academic year.


Eligibility for Graduate Financial Aid

For all scholarships and assistantships, you need to speak with the graduate program staff at your prospective school of enrollment.  These awards are determined by the individual graduate schools not by the Financial Aid office.

All Law School applicants will be evaluated for merit and academic based scholarships by the Law School Admissions Committee.

Eligibility for Student loans and Federal Work Study are determined by the Financial Aid office at Duquesne University.

Effective for loans made for periods of enrollment (loan periods) beginning on or after July 1, 2012, graduate and professional students are no longer eligible to receive Direct Subsidized Loans. Direct Unsubsidized Loans are still available for graduate and professional students.

Those who are eligible to apply for federal loan funds:

  • Only citizens and permanent residents of the United States
  • Good academic standing
  • Enrolled at least half-time in degree-seeking  programs

Please Note:

  • Most Graduate Schools* at Duquesne University define half-time as a registration of 4.5 credits per semester.
  • A student must maintain at least a half-time registration status during the entire period of time covered by a loan.

*Please contact your academic advisor to determine your enrollment status.