Applying for Aid as an Undergraduate

In order to receive your financial aid package, all Undergraduate students must complete the FAFSA application. Please note that the Duquesne Financial Aid Application is only required if you will be attending as a part-time student.

  1. Complete the FAFSA online (DU school code 003258).
  2. If you will be a part-time student, download the Duquesne Application for Financial Aid.  If you will be a Full-time Undergraduate student, the Duquesne Application for Financial Aid is not required.

Please note: Submit the FAFSA by May 1 each academic year for maximum consideration.

The parent you live with should complete the FAFSA. If the parent you live with has remarried, the information of that parent and their new spouse (stepparent) must be used.

Qualifying for Financial Aid

High school seniors should complete the FAFSA in their last semester, as it is based on income from the prior year. Many variables are used to determine financial need eligibility, including but not limited to:

  • Family size
  • Number of family members in college
  • Age of older parent
  • Savings and investments
  • Income and assets (You will need your completed tax returns for the previous year)


Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

  • The Student Aid Report (SAR) is generated from the information you submit on your FAFSA.
  • A copy is sent to you and to the colleges indicated on your FAFSA.
  • It will provide you with your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is the number that's used to determine your eligibility for federal student financial aid.

Contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss any household income changes that may affect your EFC such as:

  • Death of a parent
  • Divorce
  • Separation
  • Loss of employment
  • Substantial out-of-pocket medical expenses (exceeding 7.5% of adjusted gross income)