A A Email Print Share

Immigration Info for Current Students

For F or J visa holders, what are you required to do during your stay at Duquesne University? 

You are required to maintain your status: This means that you must carry at least 12 credits if you are an undergraduate student, 9 credits as a graduate student and at least 4 English as a Second Language courses if you are a student in the program.

Maintaining status includes reporting all changes to the Center for Global Engagement including:  address changes, program changes,  lengths of program changes and completion dates of programs. Students traveling outside of the country should bring their documents to the Center for Global Engagement for signatures on their I-20 or DS-2019 to ensure easy entry back into the country.

 If, for some reason, you will not be able to maintain your full-time status, you must contact the Center for Global Engagement for their guidance. 

If you must change your visa status TO F-1 status, please consult the instructions at this link

If you must change your visa status FROM F-1 status, please consult the instructions at this link

What is a Social Security Number and how can I get one?

Anyone who has obtained employment must obtain a Social Security Number: This is a nine-digit number that is issued by the U.S. government to its citizens and residents upon application used to track employment and taxes. Anyone who has secured employment must obtain a social security number.

Consult the Center for Global Engagement for details on obtaining a Social Security Number.

Social Security Administration Home Page

Consult these website for detailed information:

U.S. State Department
U.S. Consulate Offices

Obtaining a Driver's License

Many international students choose to drive while at Duquesne. International licenses are honored in the states but there are certain laws regarding these licenses. It is highly recommended that you apply for a Pennsylvania driver's license. You can check out the PA Department of Motor Chicles website for information. There are many DMV offices around the Pittsburgh area. The closest to campus is: 708 Smithfield Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Pennsylvania ID Cards

Students can get a PA ID Card which is an excellent form of indentification. These cards can also be obtained at the Department of Motor Vehicles office.