Education Tax Credit and 1098-T
IRS Form 1098-T
You may be eligible for education tax credits if you are paying education costs for yourself or a member of your immediate family. IRS Form 1098-T is an informational tax document that will enable you to determine if you qualify. The enrollment and financial information is also provided to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Duquesne University is required to provide the IRS Form 1098-T for all enrolled students, with the exception of:
- Students who are enrolled in courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is enrolled in a degree program.
- Nonresident alien students.
- Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely covered or paid with scholarships and/or grants.
- Students whose expenses are covered by a third party billing arrangement.
Overview of Form 1098-T
Duquesne University reports the payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses in Box 1 and the total amount of scholarships and grants in Box 5. The amounts in either box are for the calendar year (January 1 through December 31). It is the student's responsibility to determine the taxability of scholarships or grants received.
For more information on how to read the Form 1098-T, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Please note: In prior years, Duquesne University populated Box 2 for the charges billed. As of the 2018 1098-T, the IRS has regulated that universities may no longer report charges billed therefore Box 2 will be grayed out.
Form 1098-T Paperless Option
Duquesne University has partnered with Heartland ECSI, offering you the opportunity to receive your 1098-T Tuition Statement electronically. Enrolling in the paperless option will give students access to the current year Form 1098-T weeks earlier than traditional mailing. If you would like to receive your 1098-T form electronically, please complete the 1098-T Electronic Consent form. If electronic consent is not received by January 1, 2019, the 1098-T will be mailed to the permanent address on file.
The electronic 1098-T will be available online by January 31, 2019 and students will be notified via email when they are available. To obtain the form online, follow the steps below:
- Log into www.heartlandecsi.com
- Click on students and borrowers > Want to view your tax form?
- Type in "Duquesne University" and submit
- Fill in the required information; Name, SSN and Zip Code
- Complete the "I am not a robot" information
- On the next screen, click the "+" by 1098T
- The form will be displayed on the next page to print
Education Tax Credits