Dana Neacsu is the Director of the Duquesne Kline Law Library and Associate Professor of Legal Research Skills. She comes to the Thomas R. Kline School of Law of Duquesne University from Columbia Law School where she held various positions in its library, and taught legal research as a lecturer in law, and from Barnard College where she taught environmental law, policy and research as an adjunct professor. Before joining Columbia University, Dana was a NYC attorney, a civil law assistant professor with Bucuresti University School of Law, an environmental law researcher with the Romanian Academy, National Institute of Legal Research, and a Romanian trial court judge.
Dana has an LL.B. from Bucharest School of Law, a D.E.A from Caen-France, an LL.M. from Harvard Law School, an M.L.S. from the City University of New York, and a Ph.D. from Rutgers University. Her Ph.D. thesis focused on the impact of fake news on our democracy - "Political Satire and Political News: Entertaining, Accidentally Reporting or Both? The Case of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."
- LL.M., Harvard Law School
- Ph.D., School of Communication and Information The State University of New Jersey
- M.L.S., CUNY, Graduate School of Library and Information Science
- D.E.A., Ecole de Droit et des Etudes Politiques
- LL.B., Universitatea Bucuresti, Facultatea de Drept
- SP23: Climate Change Law, Research and Writing
- Introduction to U.S. Law and Legal Research, Writing, & Analysis (2 cr with Charles Sprowls)
- Directed Research: LLM (2 cr)
- Pre Law Legal Research & Writing (3 cr with Charles Sprowls)
- Climate Change Law, Research and Writing (2 cr)
- Duquesne Kline Law Library - Faculty Speakers Series - Dana in conversation with Bruce Ledewitz 2/1/2023
- Symposium 2022: The Lessons of Justinian's Code - November 3, 2022
- Duquesne Kline Law Library - Faculty Speakers Series - Dana in conversation with Wes Oliver - 10/19/2022
- International Conference of Information, Medium, and Society. "Theorizing Information Environments and Their Relationship to Law and Society" July 10, 2021 (with Paul Callister) (via Zoom)
- Conferinta Internationala Gheorghe Beleiu, "Perspective asupra responsibilitatii precontractuale in dreptul american:teorie si practica" (2nd ed, Bucuresti, May 20-21, 2021) (via Zoom)
- "Teaching Students. Teaching with Students. Creating Opportunities to Change the World." (grant presentation; student work: https://barnardsabin.org/ ) CUNY Conference on Climate Change Education (C4E) April 21-22, 2021
- "Theories to No End, Dana Neacşu on Marx, Ideological Irony, and American Jurisprudence" Interviewed by Carmelia Raghinaru (June 5, 2020)
- Democracy, Irony, Digital Communities and Mutual Aid
Telos - Paul Piccione Institute & the School of Political Science, University of Haifa, 2020 Conference:
Models of Mutual Aid.
More videos from Telos 2020
- 110th AALL Annual Meeting and Conference, Austin, TX. "Social Justice in Law Libraries: #lawlibraries respond to real life crises" (program coordinator & moderator) (July 2017)
- Global Legal Skills Conference XII, Monterey, Mexico. "Preparing LLMs in Advance for Academic and Legal Research" (March 2017)
- Interview with the CU Librarian & Vice Provost, Ann Thornton (September 2016)
- Applying Bentham's Theory of Fallacies to Chief Justice Robert's Reasoning in West Virginia v. EPA 61 Duquesne Law Review (2023) (forthcoming)
- Essential Perspectives: Foundations of Capitalism
- Katharina Pistor, CODUL CAPITALULUI: CUM DREPTUL CREEAZĂ BOGĂȚIE ȘI INEGALITATE (Dana Neacşu, trans., Radu Rizoiu, postface) (Editura Hamangiu, 2022)
- Technology - Revealing or Framing the Truth? A Jurisprudential Debate. 60 Duquesne Law Review 246 (2022)
- (with Paul D. Callister) Ecological and Holistic Analysis of the Epistemic Value of Law Libraries. 113 Law Library Journal 241 (2021)
- Social Services and Mutual Aid in Times of COVID-19 and Beyond: A Brief Critique. 25 Human Rights Brief (American University Washington College of Law) 28 (2021)
- The Aesthetic Ideology of Juliana v. United States and Its Impact on Environmentally Engaged Citizenship. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences (2021)
- (with James Donovan) Academic Law Libraries and Scholarship: Communication, Publishing, and Ranking,49(4) J. L. & Educ. 433-485 (2020).
- The Bourgeois Charm of Marx's Writings and the Ideological Irony of American Jurisprudence (Brill, 2020).
- Introduction to US Law, Policy & Research. An Environmental Perspective (Vandeplas Publishing, 2019). Co-author: P. Bower.
- Sexual Orientation, Gender Identities, and the Law: A Research Bibliography (Dana Neacşu & David B. Holt, eds.-in-chief, Hein, 2018).
The use of technology in legal research
The role of aesthetic ideology in creating environmental activism