Dr. Bae is a translational research scientist with experience as a healthcare provider focused on developing pharmacological interventions that alleviate thrombotic complications in cardiovascular disease. A part of her research and career development training has been sponsored by the Government of South Korea, Argonne National Laboratory Department of Energy, American Heart Association (AHA), American Society of Hematology (ASH), European Hematology Association (EHA), Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society (HTRS), and Chicago Biomedical Consortium (CBC).
Dr. Bae graduated from the Chosun University School of Pharmacy and practiced in Seoul, South Korea. After receiving her M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering with an emphasis on Biomedical Engineering from the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (National Fellowship, Korean Government, Ministry of Science and Technology), she continued her Ph.D. in Biopharmaceutical Sciences from the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC, Korean Government Scholarship for Overseas Study, Ministry of Education and Human Resources), and conducted a part of her doctoral research through a user-initiated research program in the Center for Nanoscale Materials and the Advanced Photon Source at the Argonne National Laboratory. She completed a postdoctoral training (AHA postdoctoral fellowship and ASH-EHA Translational Research Training in Hematology award) at the UIC College of Medicine. She was a research assistant professor sponsored by the ASH before joining the Duquesne University School of Pharmacy. She has served as an invited chapters committee member of the Controlled Research Society (CRS), a president of the CRS-IL Student Chapter, and a chairperson of the CRS- IL Student Chapter Symposium.
She is a member of the national academic honor society Phi Kappa Phi (UIC). She is a recipient of the UIC Chancellor's Student Service and Leadership Award and the CRS outstanding student chapter of the year award. Her service to the community was exposed at the CRS newsletter and UIC Pharmacist magazine.
Ph.D., Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago
M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
Bachelor of Pharmacy, Chosun University
Dr. Bae's research portfolio has the overarching theme of (1) understanding of pathophysiology of cardiovascular disease, (2) identifying biomarkers, and (3) developing therapeutics by exploring the G protein signaling that regulates endothelial cell von Willebrand factor (VWF) secretion. Her academic and research training was provided in multi- and interdisciplinary fields across pharmaceutics, computational simulation & mathematical modeling, cardiovascular pharmacology, and hematology.
- American Heart Association, Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology Council, Early-Career Member
- American Society of Hematology, Active Member
- American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Translational and Clinical Pharmacology Division, Regular Member
- European Hematology Association, Full Member
- Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society, Core Member
- American Society of Hematology - European Hematology Association Translational Research Training in Hematology Award (One of Ten Awardees in North America) 2020-2022
- Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society Research Colloquium Travel Award 2020
- American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship 2019 - 2020
- American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics Mentoring Network Award 2019
- Young Investigator Award Finalist, American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Translational and Clinical Pharmacology Division 2019
- Young Investigator Award (2nd Tier), Baxter Healthcare 2018
- Poster Presentation Award, Gary Kruh Cancer Research Symposium, Translational Oncology Section 2018
- Poster Presentation Award (Honorable Mention), UIC College of Medicine Research Forum 2018
- Drug Safety Gordon Research Conference Travel Award, Chicago Biomedical Consortium 2018
- Image of Research Award (2nd Tier), UIC College of Pharmacy 2011
- Controlled Research Society Outstanding Student Chapter of the Year Award 2010
- UIC Chancellor's Student Service and Leadership Award 2009
- Van Doren Scholarship for Research and Academic Excellence, UIC College of Pharmacy 2009
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society Inducted Membership 2008
- W.C. and May Preble Deiss Award (Top Research Proposal in Pharmacy), UIC 2008
- Korean Government Scholarship for Overseas Study (Top Candidate in Pharmacy), the Government of South Korea, the Ministry of Education and Human Resources 2005 - 2007
- Poster Presentation Award, Korean Society of Pharmaceutics Annual Meeting 2002
- National Fellowship, the Government of South Korea, the Ministry of Science and Technology 2001 - 2003