Ensuring Your Safety
Pittsburgh is consistently ranked among the safest cities in the country. The Duquesne University Department of Public Safety is committed to providing a safe environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors through crime prevention and safety awareness. We are one of only nine accredited universities in the state by the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police. The Duquesne University Public Safety personnel utilize Body Worn Cameras that record both video and audio while on duty. We employ police officers along with security guards and support staff to:
- Provide security and law enforcement
- Prevent crime
- Increase safety awareness
Security Systems and Services
Every effort is made to identify and prevent dangerous situations on campus. However, in the event of an emergency, several communication methods and services are available to enhance the safety of the campus.
- DU Alert delivers emergency messages via voice and text on cell phones and landline telephones
- An Outside Warning System will sound a tone and a voice message announcing the nature of an emergency
- Code Blue Telephones are located around campus for automatic connections to a Police Communications Operator
- Emergency Duress Alarms are located in several buildings on campus to connect with Public Safety
- An Escort Service is available on campus to ensure the safety of all Duquesne University community members as they travel to or from his or her car, Residence Hall, Academic Building or office.
Sexual Misconduct and Gender Discrimination Policy
As a Catholic and Spiritan University, one of the ways Duquesne serves God by serving students is through profound concern for moral and spiritual values. To uphold these ideals, the University enforces the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct to promote responsible citizenship, appropriate behavior and self-discipline. Verbal, nonverbal or physical sexual misconduct of any kind will not be tolerated. It threatens this mission and is prohibited by local, state and federal laws,Title IX, Duquesne's Student Policy on Sexual Violence and by Duquesne's Sexual Misconduct and Gender Discrimination Policy.