Call Campus Police at 412.396.2677
If you are confronted by a threatening person
- Leave the area, if possible.
- Call Campus Police at 412.396.2677.
- Try to stay a safe distance away.
- Try to calm the person.
- Try to get the attention of a co-worker who can call for help.
- Listen to the person and let him/her do most of the talking.
- Use delaying techniques to give the person time to calm down.
- Acknowledge the person's feelings.
- Be respectful and empowering.
- Be reassuring and point out choices other than violence.
- Don't belittle, criticize, agitate or argue with the person.
- Don't reject all of the person's demands from the start.
- Don't use body language or speech that challenges the person.
- Don't make sudden movements.
- Don't make false statements or promises.
If you are a victim or witness
- If the violence is life threatening, Call Campus Police at 412.396.2677 and report your location, weapons involved, injuries and a description of the person making threats.
- If it is not life threatening, advise your supervisor or Human Resources.
- Try to move to a safe area.
Types of workplace violence
- Physical assault and/or threat.
- Stalking or continuous harassment that causes fear, worry or intimidation.
- Actions aimed at disrupting or sabotaging operations.
- Indirect threats, such as "I know where you live."
For more information, refer to the Active Shooter Checklist and The Administrative Policy No. 48: Workplace and Campus Violence and Weapons Policy.