Living With Others
As you learn to live with others, conflicts may arise. Every student comes from a different background and set of beliefs, and each has a different set of expectations for living together.
Conflicts can usually be resolved through direct communication and honesty.
Some issues to consider discussing with your roommate(s) include:
- What kind of environment do you need to sleep well?
- How will we work out different sleep schedules?
- How and where do you like to study?
- Can the TV or radio be on while we study?
- How neat or messy can our room be?
- What personal items are ok to share, and which ones aren't?
- How do we want to handle guests visiting? (Within the visitation guidelines, of course.)
- How will we resolve issues that do arise?
If you are having difficulties, contact your RA for assistance. He or she may be able to mediate the conflict. If not, the Resident Director will intervene to help find a solution or a different roommate situation.