Student Government Association
About the SGA
As the official governing body that represents the students of Duquesne University, the Student Government Association (SGA) acts as the liaison between students and the university. Its members meet regularly with university administration and other university committees to keep them informed about student concerns and opinions.
In addition to being the single, representative voice of the students, the SGA also offers its students a wide variety of services and opportunities.
Some of the SGA's services include:
- Having representatives from each of the Academic Schools represent their constituents' needs and concern in the Senate
- Providing organizations with conference funding through Conference Appropriations, held once per semester
- Granting access to the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC)
- Hosting Night of Lights
- Funding the Loop Bus - that run on Friday and Saturday nights and travel to either 1) Oakland 2) Waterfront and 3) South Side
- Provide access to academic text books through the Book Loan program at Gumberg Library
- Assist in students filing academic grievances
- Having your concern brought to the attention of administration
- Host events throughout the year allowing students to share their questions/concerns
- Maintaining a collaborative and active membership with the Pittsburgh Student Government Council (PSGC), which is a collection of Pittsburgh Universities that united to help further the voice of students in Pittsburgh
- Accessibility to all students who have new ideas they would like to try to see happen at Duquesne
- Lobby for student rights, issues, and opinions to the city and state
The Student Government Association is the perfect organization in which to get involved! There are many opportunities to take on a wide variety of leadership roles, each with different amounts of time commitment. Even if you are not interested in assuming a leadership role, participating in the SGA will keep you up-to-date on what other student organizations are doing, what decisions and topics are affecting Duquesne students, and all the new initiatives happening on campus and in the surrounding community.
Interested in joining the SGA?
Joining the Student Government Association is really easy! It is just a matter of expressing interest and attending an SGA Senate meeting!
Senate meetings are held every other Sunday evening at 7pm in Room 302 of the Law School.
Our meetings for the Spring 2018 semester are:
Questions? Feel free to email us at email@example.com, call at 412.396.6617, or stop by our office in Union 302!
Need to get a hold of us?
If you need to contact us about something, here is how you can reach us! Let us know how we can serve you!
Office: 302 Student Union
Do you have questions, suggestions or concerns that you'd like to share with SGA?
Check out our Suggestion Box Online Portal on SGA's CampusLink page!
See what's going on in the SGA!
- Sunday, February 11th at 7PM in Law School 203 - Senate Meeting
- Monday, February 12th at 9PM in Union NiteSpot - "Make Your Own Cookie Dough" - Come chat with your student representatives and learn more about SGA!
- Tuesday, February 13th at 5PM in Bayer - Pappert Lecture Hall - Student Leader Election Debate
- Saturday, February 17th from 10AM-6PM in Brittany Room of Des Places Hall - Fall Conference Appropriations - Visit our page on CampusLink to download the appropriate documents and turn them in for your student organization to be considered for Conference Appropriations. Questions? Email our VP of Finance Matthew Kajfez at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday, February 21st from 8AM-9PM - online via CampusLink - Student Leader Elections - Vote for your student representatives in the Student Government Association, Residence Hall Association, and Commuter Council!
- Sunday, February 25th at 7PM in Law School 203 - Senate Meeting
- Sunday, March 11th at 7PM in Law School 203 - Senate Meeting
- Sunday, March 25th at 7PM in Law School 203 - Senate Meeting
- Thursday, April 12th from 4:30-5:30PM in 613 Union - cohosted event with the Center for Career Development - Social Media & Job Search Strategies with a focus on LinkedIn