School of Education

While Education majors tend to seek classroom teaching careers at the pre-k, elementary or secondary levels, other options exist with an undergraduate degree. Some of the more common alternatives include:


Human Resources' Education and Training: Companies usually provide employee education or training, which can be led by a person with a teaching degree. Another option in HR is working as a recruiter. Your ability to understand the needs of people from different backgrounds can make you an asset in a company looking to hire HR people.

Technical writer: While you may need to take a course in tech writing, this is a much-needed skill, one where not everyone excels. Use your writing skills to draft user guides, manuals and white papers for companies large and small.


After-school programs and youth organizations: Typically run by non-profit organizations, youth-based groups often look for people with a teaching degree. Some teachers might find work at running summer camps, community support organizations, daycare centers and preschools.

Grant writer: Non-profit groups typically rely on grants and fundraising to cover their costs. If you have the skills needed to be a teacher, you may be qualified to write grant proposals. Your communication and writing skills will be needed to draft a persuasive argument on why an organization needs funding.

Community-based human services agencies: for children, teens and adults: Organizations such as Auberle in the Pittsburgh area serve children, youth and families in programs, including workforce development, , housing and emergency shelter, Foster Care, placement services, drug and alcohol and mental health programs, education, and in-home intervention.

Government-run organizations

The U.S. Department of Education or your state Department of Education hires teachers for a variety of roles, including management and teaching.

Government agencies: If you're qualified to teach a subject, such as math, science, or political science, look for government bodies that pertain to your specialty.

Prisons and Juvenile Facilities: Prisoners can earn degrees while incarcerated. People with teaching degrees are often needed as instructors for classes offered to inmates who are trying to turn their life around. You could also work in a juvenile facility where you can teach or mentor young adults.

Interpreters and translators: This career path is specific to foreign-language teachers. If you don't want to teach foreign language in school, your knowledge and skills could be useful to the government as an interpreter or translator.

Education technician: Government agencies such as the Bureau of Land Management and national and state parks employ professionals to design and provide informational programs for adult and youth visitors. Others such as park rangers not only manage facilities but also guide educational tours and manage educational events.