What You Can Expect as a Duquesne Student
Freshman year is the perfect time to visit the Center for Career Development. We'll help you explore majors and prepare for future success with:
- Career exploration: You can explore careers, assess the right major for your future plans, gain experience and develop job search skills.
- Personalized career counseling: You can meet with a Career Counselor who is specific to your area of study and will take a personalized approach to help you meet your unique needs.
- Career-related experiences: Job shadowing, volunteering and internships are excellent ways to gain valuable experience, learn about careers and network with professionals. We can help you find these opportunities.
- Daily Walk-In Advising: Stop by for a quick resume review or career advice in two convenient locations on campus.
Handshake - Your 24/7 Resource
Handshake is Duquesne University's exclusive online job and internship recruiting system that connects you to recruiters, programs, events and job fairs. You can search and apply for internships and career-related opportunities and will have access to features including:
- Mock Interview Module: Practice interview skills by completing a recommended mock interview or build your own.
- Resource Library: Internship and cover letter tips, salary calculator and more can be found in the library.
- Events: Learn about events hosted by the Center for Career Development, RSVP for job fairs, research employers who are attending and create a top 10 list of your favorite companies.
Events to support your success...
**Please note that events for the remainder of the Spring 2020 Semester have been cancelled.
We are committed to building lasting relationships with employer's right in our backyard and around the country. Professional recruiters volunteer to be guest speakers, conduct mock interviews and perform resume critiques right on campus. With their support, the Center for Career Development hosts events throughout the academic year to help you develop professional and job search skills including:
- Career Expos - Network with employers with career and internship opportunities for all majors.
- ResuMANIA: Resume reviews by professional recruiters.
- Lunch & Learn: Enjoy a light lunch and career advice.
- How to Work a Job Fair: Learn how to make a good first impression, the keys to a good elevator pitch and the elements of a great resume.
- Practice Interview Days: Develop professional interviewing skills with human resources professionals.
- Etiquette Dinner: Enjoy a 3-course meal while learning how to properly present yourself at a meal or networking event.
The Center for Career Development is looking forward to helping you pave your way to future success!