Individuals with Disabilities
The Center for Career Development is committed to partnering with students and alumni with disabilities in the career development process and in the search for internship and job opportunities.
We offer many resources to assist you, including:
- One-on-one career counseling
- Career assessments
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- Job and internship search strategies
- Interview techniques
To discuss any of the above topics, please make an appointment through Starfish to talk with your career counselor. Alumni should call 412-396-6644 for an appointment.
In addition, we partner with the PA Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (OVR) who are experts in the employment of individuals with disabilities. OVR provides services to eligible individuals with disabilities, both directly and through a network of approved vendors. Services are provided on an individualized basis. The web site allows you to find the closes OVR office to you.
Watch our calendar in Handshake for presentations and companies hosting information tables in the Student Union.
In addition to the resources provided by Duquesne University through Disability Services and the Center for Career Development, you may find these resources helpful:
- Bender Consulting - Works with private sector and government employers to recruit, screen and hire people with disabilities for professional positions.
- Brighton Institute - Guides individuals with disabilities to meaningful, gainful employment provided in their native language (ASL).
- Disability.gov - U.S. federal government website for information on disability programs and services nationwide, including employment.
- Disabled Person - Job Board for People with Disabilities since 2002
- EmployAble - Works with young adults that have a college education and that have a mental health and/or autism diagnosis.
- Federal Government Disability Employment - Navigate the job search with assistance from this site.
- Getting Hired - Provides resources, including an online job board, to assist job seekers in finding and securing meaningful profesional employment.
- Life's Work - Western PA organization that aims to provide persons with disabilities opportunity, employment, and independence.
- National Business & Disability Council - Organization committed to helping companies implement best practices in diverse employment.
- Works for Me - Provides assistance to Pennsylvania residents with disabilities to find a job and additional career support.
Additional resources you may find helpful:
- DisABLEd Person, Inc - Job board connecting emlployers with individuals with disabilities. Every job listed on the platform is posted directly by employers.
- Job Accommodation Network - Source of free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues.
- National Organziation on Disabiity - promotes full participation and contributions of people with disabilities in all aspects of life.
- Workforce Recruitment Program - Connects employers with college students and recent graduates with disabilities looking for opportunities to show their abilities in the work place through summer internships and permanent jobs
- The National Center for College Students with Disabilities - Provides assistance to all college students with disabilities and their families.