General Safety Tips
- Keep your doors and windows locked at all times, even when you are home.
- If you see something, say something- call 911 for emergencies. Call 311 for non-emergencies in the City of Pittsburgh such as graffiti, vandalism, illegal parking, litter, pot holes, etc.
- Do not open your doors to strangers - if you have scheduled a utility company appointment, ask for an ID or badge before allowing entry
- Keep valuables out of sight or windows.
What to do Prior to Leaving for a Break
- Don't post vacation photos on social media while you're on vacation; wait until you return, so people don't know when your house is vacant.
- In winter months keep your heat at 65 ̊F or above to prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Contact the post office to hold/forward your mail until you return.
- Lock your doors and windows.
- Take/secure your valuables, including your TV.
- Use safety timers on your lamps to give the illusion of activity in your home.
- Disconnect electrical items such as microwaves, coffee pots, toasters, etc.
- Ask a trusted neighbor or friend to keep an eye on your property. During the winter months, ask them to shovel your sidewalk and/or driveway.
- Remove any spare keys you may have placed around the property for emergencies.