What to Expect When Signing a Lease
A lease is a contract by which one conveys real estate, equipment, or facilities for a specified term and for a specified rent. It is a legally binding document. Do not enter into one unless you are comfortable with all terms and conditions.
- Although not all landlords have the same policies, typically renting requirements in the Pittsburgh area are somewhat consistent.
- Everyone on the lease may be asked to fill out an application which typically has a cost associated with it. The landlord may also check your credit report.
- Many landlords require student tenants to have a co-signer, often a parent/guardian.
- Have all tenants and co-signers sign the lease and submit it at one time.
- Once all documents have been signed, make sure each roommate has a copy of the lease. Be sure to keep a copy of the lease on the premises.
- Save your copy of the lease. You may wish to provide a copy to your parents/guardians as well.