What to Expect on Move-in Day
We understand that moving into college can be a rather stressful event. At Duquesne, we try to remove as much of that stress as possible by providing a joyful atmosphere and supportive staff throughout the day. We believe that your first day on campus should be a positive experience that leads to many years of happiness and success! With that philosophy in mind, here are some of the things that you can expect:
1. You will be assigned a move-in time between 8am and 7pm. Please locate your designated time on the schedule found in the orientation mailing packet or on the Move-In Schedule attached to our website. Please try to arrive as close to your time as possible in order for things to run smoothly.
2. When you arrive on campus, you will be greeted by some of our staff members wearing orientation polo shirts. They will direct you into the lane that leads to your building.
3. Once you get close to the Residence Hall in which you will be living, a staff member will give you a move-in number and parking pass. Please wait for a staff member in a polo shirt to call your number, at which point our team will come over to your car with move in carts. We will assist you in unpacking your car and taking your belongings up to your room. Please make sure all your items are labeled with your residence hall name and room number.
4. One licensed driver must stay with the car at all times, and once the vehicle is unloaded will be asked to move the car into the parking garage and meet their resident at the building.
5. Before entering the building, you must visit the Residence Life tent outside of your Residence Hall to pick up your room key. After picking this up, head to Orientation Tent on Assumption Commons (the big grassy area in the middle of St Ann's, St. Martin's, and Assumption Hall). You will receive a schedule of events for the week, Graffiti Dance shirt to wear on Wednesday night during Orientation, and a plethora of other goodies for the week!
Other things to keep in mind on move-in day:
1. There will be a food tent on Assumption Commons from 11am-5pm serving lunch and dinner that all students and parents are welcome to partake in! There will also be several people walking around with bottles of water and snacks throughout the day.
2. Once you have moved in or have waited for your number to be called, feel free to walk around campus, get your student ID, or head down to the bookstore to pick up your books for the upcoming semester.
3. This is a very busy day as we move upwards of 1600 new students onto campus. There will be traffic and potential waits along our move in routes. We try to do everything in our power to help your move-in experience go smoothly and assure that every single person will be helped and moved in by the end of the day. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding, and we hope that you will enjoy your move-in experience at Duquesne University! If you have any questions or concerns please email us at email@example.com or give us a call at 412.396.6641.