Internal Transfer Students
Current Duquesne students who wish to transfer to the School of Nursing, or to learn more about the internal transfer process, should visit the School of Nursing Intranet site.
External Transfer Students
Admission of external transfer students (current students at another college or university) to the School of Nursing is based on space availability within an existing class.
- Only courses taken within the past 10 years will be evaluated for transfer credit. For courses in the natural sciences, the limit is five years.
- You cannot enroll in nursing clinical practicum courses during the first semester of attendance at Duquesne University.
- You must take all required nursing courses at Duquesne; nursing courses from other institutions are not accepted.
For additional information regarding transferring to Duquesne, learn more from the Office of Admissions.
In order for your application to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee, you must:
- Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
- Have a grade of "C" or higher (a "C-" will not be accepted) in all requested transfer coursework.
- Have completed at least one full semester of coursework, with another full semester in progress. Admission decisions will be contingent upon students having completed two full semesters prior to enrolling in the BSN program.
- Applicants (and students) must meet the Technical Standards for Admission and the health requirements found in the Traditional BSN and Second Degree BSN Student Handbook.
The School of Nursing seeks to enroll students who demonstrate the ability to be successful in a rigorous program of study. To that end, students should consider taking the following courses, along with other core courses required by Duquesne University:
- Biology w/lab - 4 credits
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I w/ lab - 4 credits
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II w/lab - 4 credits
- Microbiology w/lab - 4 credits
- Statistics - 3 credits
- Complete an Application for Undergraduate Admission.
- Complete the Duquesne University External Transfer form via the applicant portal.
- Ask your Science or Math professor to complete the Undergraduate Recommendation form.
Have the following documents sent directly to the Office of Admissions:
- An official high school transcript
- Official college transcripts from all colleges attended
- Completed essay
Office of Admissions
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15282
Incomplete applications will not be considered. For additional information regarding transferring to Duquesne, learn more from the Office of Admissions.
Deadline to Apply
April 1 is the deadline for transfer students.
Please Note: Individuals planning to practice in Pennsylvania who have been convicted of any crime (felony or misdemeanor) in any court or who have any criminal charges pending/unresolved may be prohibited from licensure or re-licensure as a registered nurse or may be mandated to complete additional requirements in order to be eligible for licensure, as determined by the PA State Board of Nursing. Any student with such a history must contact the PA State Board of Nursing Bureau of Health Professionals Monitoring (717) 783-4857 for guidance prior to enrollment.
Students who plan on applying for licensure outside of the state of Pennsylvania should contact the State Board of Nursing in their respective state.