Nursing students are required to have both a laptop and an iPad that meet the system requirements outlined by the Duquesne University School of Nursing.
Mac or Windows required
- Chromebooks are not compatible
- Windows RT and Windows 10 S and 11 S are not compatible
MacOS Monterey (version 12) or later
- MacBook Air with M1 chip – Meets minimum expectations
- MacBook Air with M2 chip
- The more expensive MacBook Pros are acceptable, but unnecessary.
- A Mac with an Intel CPU should not be purchased. If you already have a Mac with an Intel CPU, please provide the specifications to the Nursing Office of Technology and we will tell you if it is acceptable.
- Latest version of Windows 10 or Windows 11, 64 bit.
- 10th Generation Intel i5 CPU or higher OR 3rd gen AMD Ryzen CPU or higher
- 250+GB SSD recommended
- 8GB RAM minimum, 16GB recommended
- Webcam (integrated internal webcam or external USB webcam)
Approved Windows Laptops
- Dell Latitude 7430
- Dell Latitude 7440 2-in1
- Note: Dell computers purchased from the Duquesne Computer Store also include a 4-year warranty, serviced through the campus store.
- The Computer Store also offers loaner devices (while supplies available) if your device requires an extended amount of time to be repaired and is another benefit of purchasing from the campus store.
Other Windows laptops are acceptable, provided they meet the specifications above.
Additionally, you will need headphones for some exams; wired headphones with a 3.5mm connector are strongly recommended, as Bluetooth headphones / AirPods can be unreliable.
In addition to a laptop, an iPad is required for eBooks, point-of-care apps and exams.
- Acceptable iPads include the 6th generation iPad mini ($449), 9th generation iPad
($309) OR the 10th generation iPad ($419)*
- The iPad Air or 11” iPad Pro are also acceptable, but not required.
- The 12.9” iPad Pro is not recommended as its size will be difficult to use in the clinical setting.
- Cellular service is not required.
- iOS 16 (beta versions are not compatible)
- 64GB or greater
- Microsoft Office 2019 or later (available free for students)
- Adobe® Reader DC or later (available free for students)
- Mozilla Firefox web browser
- Google Chrome web browser
The DU Computer Store sells computer and iPad hardware, software and warranties to students at educational
discount prices. The Computer Store is located in the Duquesne Union.
*Note: Students are not required to buy their computer or iPad at the DU Computer Store. Prices are correct as of June 2023.
|Canvas||View updates to your courses and content (Safari web browser can also be used)||Free|
|Elsevier eBooks||Access nursing eBooks (eBook code emailed to you from Duquesne Bookstore)||Free|
|UpToDate||Access mobile resources for clinical (Account activated through Gumberg Library)||Free|
|NearPod||Participate in polling and interactive activities||Free|
|Examplify||Take quizzes and exams with ExamSoft||Free|
|HESI Secure Browser||Take HESI exams||Free|
|Outlook||Access university email||Free|
|OneDrive||Store and sync files in the cloud||Free|
|Box||Store and sync files in the cloud||Free|
|Word||View/Edit Word Files||Free|
|Excel||View/Edit Excel Files||Free|
|PowerPoint||View/Edit PowerPoint slideshows||Free|
|Adobe Acrobat Reader||View, scan, annotate and share PDF files||Free|
|Adobe Fill & Sign||Complete and sign PDF forms||Free|
|Zoom||Participate in videoconferencing||Free|
|Evernote||Take notes and sync to cloud and other devices||Free (basic)|
|myCB||Complete health and other requirements||Free|
|OneNote||Take notes and sync to cloud and other devices||Free|
|Notability||Take notes and sync to cloud and other devices||$8.99|