Orientation programs for new students are conducted by the College and Schools in conjunction with academic advisement and registration. Returning students should meet with their Student Success Coaches/graduate advisors to plan their upcoming class schedules.  Banner Self-Service registration is available through DORI (www.duq.edu/dori) for degree-seeking undergraduates (with 15 or more earned credits) and graduate students. New undergraduates as well as non-degree students must see their Student Success Coach or school office to register. Unless a student has applied for and been granted an official leave of absence, any student who has missed two consecutive fall/spring terms must reapply for admission to Duquesne University through the Office of Undergraduate Admission before class registration is permitted.

Students must be officially registered for classes in order to be considered an enrolled Duquesne University student. Only registered students may attend class, reside on campus, engage in student activities, or generally have access to buildings and grounds or the use of the University's facilities. Even though absences from classes may be observed and recorded, a student is considered to be enrolled and in attendance until or unless formal (written) cancellation or withdrawal forms are filed with the Office of the University Registrar.

Students may register or make schedule changes from the opening of registration through Final Registration, also referred to as the add/drop period. Adding or dropping courses is not permitted after the conclusion of Final Registration. If a student decides not to attend the University prior to the end of the add/drop period, the registration may be cancelled. Written notification of cancellation is required no later than the Final Registration deadline and should be submitted to the academic advisor. For registration cancellation and the corresponding drop of all courses, tuition and fee charges are refunded. Pre-registration and Final Registration dates and deadlines are available on the Academic Calendar.

Students are required to participate in classes in the same semester in which they are registered, billed, and awarded credit, if earned. Students who register for a class or classes and subsequently do not attend remain financially responsible for their registration. Students who register but fail to attend, drop, or withdraw remain accountable for payment and will receive a final grade of "F."

Regularly enrolled Duquesne students may receive permission to audit courses. In addition, non-degree students from the general community who would like to audit courses for personal enrichment and who are not matriculated or pursuing a degree program are also eligible to audit. Students should consult their Academic Advisor for details on auditing. Enrollment is granted on a space-available basis. Regular University charges apply for audited courses.

Registration in a course as an auditor must be declared at registration and is irrevocable once the add/drop period has ended. Final grades will be recorded as “AU” or Audit. Audited courses may not be converted to matriculated credits. Courses completed as audit may not be challenged later or completed via CLEP or other advanced standing tests.

Courses eligible for auditing are determined by the individual colleges and schools of the University. A partial list of school policies follows, but students are advised to consult with the Offices of the Deans for the most current listings: 1) Law courses eligible for auditing are determined by the School of Law. No student shall be permitted to audit a course that is examined on the Pennsylvania Bar Examination. Subject to the approval of the Academic Status Committee, a student may be permitted to audit any other course for good cause; 2) No clinical courses in the Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy may be audited; 3) The Rangos School of Health Sciences will not allow clinical courses or those courses in the professional phase of the curriculum (the last two years of all RSHS majors) to be audited by non-majors; 4) In the College of Liberal Arts and School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, courses in humanities and social sciences may be audited, but communications and science laboratory courses may not be audited.

Students enrolling for audit may attend lectures, complete course readings and, at the discretion of the professor in charge of the course, participate in classroom discussion and examinations.

Students requiring a change of class schedule are permitted to do so through the end of Final Registration, or add/drop, as indicated in the Academic Calendar. All schedule changes must be approved by an Academic Advisor. Once add/drop has ended, the withdrawal period begins. Adding and dropping classes is not permitted once the withdrawal period has begun.

The purpose of Cross-Registration is to provide opportunities for enriched educational programs by permitting students at any of the Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE) institutions to take courses at any other PCHE institution. The complete list of PCHE schools is below.

Carlow University
Carnegie Mellon University
Chatham University
Community College of Allegheny County
Duquesne University
La Roche College
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
Point Park University
Robert Morris University
University of Pittsburgh

The opportunity to cross-register is open to full-time students enrolled in a PCHE college or university.

Each college or university accepts registration from the other institutions; however, first priority in registration is given to students of the host college. Not all departments or schools at all institutions participate in this program.

In each case of student cross-registration, the approval of the Dean or designated individual from the home college or university must be obtained prior to registration.The student's advisor or dean is responsible for assuring the student's eligibility for the course in which s/he intends to enroll. PCHE registration forms are available in the advisor's office and in the Office of the University Registrar.

Full credit and grades will be transferred; the academic regulations of the host institution will prevail.

The academic integrity code and other rules of conduct of the host institution apply with regard to its courses and behavior on its campus. The host institution also determines whether its rules have or have not been violated. The student's home institution will impose such penalties as it considers proper when violations are reported.

Cross registrants do not acquire the status of students in the institutions from which they are receiving instruction (e.g., for purposes of participation in student activities, insurance programs, etc.). They do receive library privileges at the host institution and may purchase course texts at the host bookstore.

Each qualified student normally may enroll in no more than one cross-registration course in any one term or semester under this program.

Duquesne University students who are participating in this program are charged tuition and university fees in accordance with the current rates of Duquesne University; however, students are responsible for paying any additional course or laboratory fees to the host institution.

This cross-registration program does not apply to the summer sessions at any of the institutions. However, taking courses at other institutions during those terms is facilitated by "temporary transfer student" procedures separately agreed to by the PCHE colleges and universities.

Students are encouraged to submit cross-registration forms during pre-registration in order to provide adequate time to receive proper notification of course enrollment.

The Cross-Registration form is available online at duq.edu/pche. Students must complete the form online in its entirety and print it.

The completed form must be signed by the student and by the student's advisor prior to submission to the Office of the University Registrar or the Law School Registrar (law students).

The Registrar of the host institution will notify applicants regarding their enrollment status. Notifications are mailed to the address provided on the Cross-Registration form.

Freshman: less than 30 earned credits
Sophomore: 30 to 59 earned credits
Junior: 60 to 89 earned credits
Senior: 90 or more earned credits

Full-time Student

An undergraduate student with an academic schedule of at least 12 attempted credits is considered to be a full-time student.  With this status, a student is entitled to the benefits of various activities.

Three-quarter-time Student

An undergraduate student attempting between 9 and 11.99 credits is considered to be enrolled three-quarter time.

Half-time Student

An undergraduate student attempting between 6 and 8.99 credits is considered to be enrolled half-time.

Less-than-half-time Student

An undergraduate student attempting between zero and 5.99 credits is considered to be enrolled less-than-half-time.

Grades can be viewed at midterm and after the close of finals using the Student Profile under the View Grades option.

Current students who are free of financial obligations to the University may view their transcripts online in the Student Profile. Students should carefully examine their records for accuracy each term and immediately report any errors in writing to the Office of the University Registrar.

To obtain copies of Duquesne University transcripts, students (both current and former) should visit www.duq.edu/transcripts.  All official transcripts issued by the Office of the University Registrar bear the signature of the University Registrar when printed on secured paper. Whenever a paper transcript is released directly to the student, it will also bear the stamped designation, Issued to Student. Photo identification is required to obtain your transcript in-person.  Transcripts may not be requested by third-parties.

No transcript will be issued unless all financial obligations owed by the student to the University have been fulfilled. Requests are processed within 1 to 3 business days and may take longer for older records, during peak periods, and over University holidays and Holy Days.
For current students, proof of your enrollment can be obtained through Self-Service Banner > Student Information > Enhanced Banner 9 > Print Enrollment Verification. If proof of enrollment must be sent from the Office of the University Registrar directly to a third-party, select the Request Enrollment Verification option. Former students must put a signed request in writing, and the request can be mailed or faxed to the Office of the University Registrar. Requests are not accepted over the phone, by email, or from a third-party. For details, go to www.duq.edu/verify.

Withdrawal from a Course

Once Final Registration (add/drop) has ended, the withdrawal period begins. To withdraw from a course, all students must see their advisor, and the instructor's signature is required to withdraw. Refunds are not issued for course withdrawals in the fall and spring terms but may be issued in the summer based on the summer refund schedule. The withdrawal deadline varies for full-term courses and accelerated courses. Please check the Academic Calendar for the dates. All course withdrawals result in a final grade of "W" on the transcript.

Continuing students seeking to withdraw from a course may do so with the approval of an academic advisor up to the deadline as published in the Academic Calendar. (Withdrawal dates vary based on class length.) First-semester freshmen and first-semester transfers may withdraw from a course with the approval of their advisor up to the last class meeting and will receive a grade of "W". 

Students who are in violation of the University's Academic Integrity Policy are not permitted to withdraw from a course to avoid sanctions.

Students who wish to withdraw from a course after the deadline as stated in the Academic Calendar must seek the approval of their academic advisor, the course instructor, and the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled. Students whose withdrawal requests are not approved are still considered to be enrolled and responsible for payment and will receive final grades.

Under no circumstance may a student withdraw from a course after it has ended or after the final exam has been given.

Complete Withdrawal from the University

Students wishing to withdraw must contact their advisor and submit a Student Schedule Change Form requesting the withdrawal from all classes for the term. This form is required, and instructors' signatures must be obtained. Notification of the intent not to attend received after the add/drop deadline will be processed as a complete withdrawal and is subject to the University's official withdrawal policy which includes varying levels of financial obligation depending on the formal date of withdrawal. With regard to complete withdrawal from all courses in a term, students are issued a refund in accordance with the Tuition Refund Schedule (see Academic Calendar). However, fees are not refunded. The withdrawal notification date will be used as the formal separation date from the University and to determine whether a refund will be issued. All course withdrawals result in final grades of "W" on the transcript with the exception of any completed coursework from an accelerated-term class which has already been graded.

When a student's attendance is involuntarily terminated because of personal disability arising from injury or illness, any remission of tuition beyond what is described in the Tuition Refund Schedule is subject to the approval of the Academic Dean, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the Vice President for Management and Business (see Medical Withdrawal).

Active Duty for Military Personnel and Spouses

In the case when a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard or other reserve component of the armed forces of the United States is called or ordered to active duty, the member or the spouse of a member may take leave from the University with no penalty. When a student is called to duty during a registered term, the registration may be cancelled or withdrawn, and tuition and fees for the term refunded. If withdrawn, final grades of "M" (Military Withdrawal) will be recorded on the official transcript for the term's unfinished coursework.

In such circumstances, the student or spouse must provide to the academic advisor a copy of the orders, and the service dates must coincide or overlap with the enrollment dates for the term in question. If the date referenced in the call to duty is prior to the first day of class or during the add/drop period for the term, the registration will be cancelled. If the date is after the add/drop period up through and including the last day of the term, the student will be withdrawn from all courses resulting in "M" grades for the semester.

Medical Withdrawal


Duquesne University students may apply for a medical withdrawal due to extreme illness, serious injury, or extended hospitalization. Because a medical withdrawal affects academic progress, students are encouraged to consider other options that might enable them to remain enrolled (such as "I" or "incomplete" grades that would enable them to complete coursework after the end of the semester). Students should consult their academic advisor, the Office of Student Financial Aid, the Office of International Programs and other offices as appropriate.

Medical withdrawals constitute complete withdrawals and result in final grades of "W" in all courses on the transcript for the semester in question. Except in extraordinary circumstances (e.g., clinical-setting coursework with specific physical or mobility requirements), the University does not grant partial medical withdrawals (i.e., requests to withdraw from some courses but not others). In exceptional cases, the dean may present whether extraordinary circumstances exist to support a partial medical withdrawal. The only exception to a partial medical withdrawal is if the student has already completed one or more accelerated (i.e., 8-week) courses, in which case the grades earned in all such courses remain on the student's transcript and the associated costs are included when calculating the student's account balance; the medical withdrawal results in final grades of "W" for all other courses on the transcript.


Except in extraordinary circumstances, students must submit a written request for a medical withdrawal to their academic advisor no later than the last day of classes for the semester to which the withdrawal would apply. The university does not grant withdrawals for prior semesters.

The school or college will then submit to the Registrar a request for Student Schedule Change form (withdrawing the student from courses still in progress when one or more accelerated courses has already been graded) and (b) authorization from the student to process the withdrawal. This authorization may be either in hard copy with the student's signature or in the form of an email sent from the student's Duquesne University email account.

Students are considered to be enrolled unless and until they submit written notification of their withdrawal. The withdrawal is effective on the date when notification is received, which constitutes the student's last day of attendance.

Medical Documentation

To qualify for a medical withdrawal, the student must also submit to the dean of his or her school or college (a) a description of the medical circumstances and (b) documentation from a licensed healthcare provider that addresses those circumstances and supports withdrawal as medically appropriate. After verifying the illness, injury, or hospitalization, the dean submits the documentation to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs for review and a final decision.

If the student is unable to initiate the medical withdrawal process, the student's school or college office, parent, spouse, partner, or other designee may do so on his or her behalf. In such cases, the incapacitation of the student must be documented or a formal power of attorney provided.

The approval of a medical withdrawal results in the immediate assignment of a final grade of "W" for the relevant courses on the transcript and an automatic review of the whether the student may qualify for a partial tuition refund (see "Refunds" below).

The University reserves the right to require that a student who receives a medical withdrawal provide documentation from a healthcare provider that he or she is approved to reenroll in a subsequent semester. If a student is not yet fit to reenroll, the student may request a Medical Leave of Absence, which may be granted based upon certification by a licensed healthcare provider.

The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs advises the Vice President for Management and Business whether any tuition for the current semester should be refunded to a student whose request for a medical withdrawal is approved.

Based upon the effective date of the medical withdrawal (see under "Withdrawal" above), refunds will be calculated by the offices of Student Accounts and Financial Aid as follows:

  • For the first four weeks of the semester, refunds follow the standard refund policy (see the "Total Withdrawal" deadlines listed in the Academic Calendar).
  • From the fifth through the eighth week of the semester, refunds will be limited to 20%.
  • From the ninth through the twelfth week, refunds will be limited to 10% and any already graded accelerated courses will be billed at the full per-credit rate.
  • After the twelfth week, no refunds will be due.

Any reduction to Title IV funds will be determined using the Federal Financial Aid pro rata refund policy. University gift aid and all other non-Title IV financial aid will be reduced by the same percentage as the tuition reduction and returned to the source of the funds in question. Laboratory fees, University fees, housing costs and fees, refunds prior to withdrawal, and any other fees already committed by the University on behalf of the student will not be refunded.

Refunds due as the result of a medical withdrawal will be paid to the student within ten business days after the credit balance is created for the semester for which the medical withdrawal was approved.

Process Outline

  • Student submits authorized Notice of Complete Withdrawal (or Request for Student Schedule Change form) to academic advisor. Form is then forwarded to the Office of the University Registrar.
  • Student submits written description of medical circumstance with documentation from a healthcare provider to the dean
  • Dean submits case file to Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  • Provost reviews case and renders decision
  • Provost notifies the Vice President for Management and Business of any refund due