Grants for Undergraduate Students (FAFSA required)

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant: Eligibility is based on a formula established each year by the federal government. Students enrolled half-time or less-than-half-time may receive a partial grant. The amount varies with program funding.

When completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), if Duquesne University was not listed as a potential school of enrollment:

  • The student must submit all copies of the Student Aid Report (SAR) to finalize the award.
  • The award is shown as estimated if the SAR is required and has not been received by the Financial Aid Office.
  • The amount of a Federal Pell Grant indicated on this notice indicates the student's eligibility based on full-time enrollment for the year (unless otherwise stated).
  • An estimated Federal Pell Grant is not an official award.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG): These are given to full-time students with exceptional financial need, who meet posted deadlines, if funding is available.

  • This grant can be canceled in the recipient fails to submit Federal Pell Grant SARs when requested.

State Grants

Pennsylvania State Grant (PHEAA)

Full and part-time undergraduate Pennsylvania residents who demonstrate need. To be eligible for renewal, students must maintain academic progress as determined by PHEAA.

  • An estimated award is based on projected eligibility and is not an official award.
  • It is assumed the student will apply for the award and will meet all requirements of the award, including filing prior to deadline dates.
  • The University cannot replace estimated funds which are not awarded due to the failure of the student to apply on time.

Apply for PA State Grant

Chafee Education and Training Grant (Chafee ETG) Program

This federally funded program offers grants to Pennsylvania undergraduate students aging out of foster care who are attending an eligible postsecondary institution. Learn more about this program and eligibility. 

PA Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver (FosterEd) Program

The FosterEd Program provides a waiver for tuition and mandatory fees charged by most postsecondary institutions located in the Commonwealth for youth who are or were in foster care. Learn more about this program and eligibility.  

The application is combined for Chafee ETG and FosterEd and more information about eligibility can be found on the application. Please contact Duquesne University's Point of Contact for these programs with any questions: Alison Wojcik, wojcikaFREEDUQUESNE, (412) 396-4510.

Apply for Chafee and FosterEd

University Grants

Duquesne Grant: Based on demonstrated financial need and must be enrolled full-time. Renewable based on continued need. The award amount varies with need and funding. Duquesne grants are awarded for a maximum of 8 semesters, (10 semesters for Pharmacy students).

Grants for Graduate Students

All gift aid (scholarships / assistantships) is awarded through your prospective school of enrollment. Please contact your graduate school office for information.