- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, covering material at least equivalent to our undergraduate operating systems class, advanced data structures, and Calculus I.
- Students without the proper background may be admitted conditionally, but will be required to pass satisfactorily foundational courses (undergraduate operating systems class, advanced data structures, and Calculus I.) These courses do not count towards the necessary graduate credits.
- The GRE examination is not required for admission, but is recommended.
- Official transcripts of prior academic work.
- An online application.
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which should be from a reference who can comment meaningfully on your prior academic performance.
- A personal statement of at most 500 words that explains why you are applying to the MSCS program and provides any other information you wish the Admissions Committee to have.
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
- GRE general exam scores (recommended for admission, required for assistantship applications). The Duquesne school code is 2196 and the department code is 0703.
- For international students, either TOEFL or IELTS scores (not required of students who successfully complete Duquesne's ESL program).
The Admissions Committee does take your entire application into consideration when making admission decisions. If you have questions about your qualifications, please contact the Graduate Director.
Visit the Graduate School of Liberal Arts application page for more application details and a link to the online application cover sheet. Note that our program does not require a writing sample, only a personal statement.
Application Submission Deadlines
- Fall admission: February 1st for full consideration; Rolling admission up to June 1st as space is available.
- Spring admission: July 1st for full consideration; Rolling admission up to November 1st as space is available.
- Graduate assistantship: February 1. (Assistantships are only granted for the year beginning with the fall term).